Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:DHey guys! Drum season is going to be on us before we know it and I'm going to leave the island next weekend for the first time in over 6 months. Anyway, I'm going to stop by a basspro shops and stock up on the way back out here. if you guys had to have only one kind of drum hook, what would it be? I like the Owner 7/0. Thanks for any advice!:D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The hook that has a drum attached to it is my favorite...

Actually right now I am using Mustad Demon Ultra Fine wire 10/0.

Going to try the regular Mustad Demons in 10/0 the season as I have heard lots of good things from people about them.

Gammi's circles suck. You will lose fish.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
the thread i put up last year pretty much sums it up. most people like the gami's. There are a lot of people that don't like them. Like me and clay!

Basically there are the following that are what most folks use

circles:
gami 8/0 circle
mustad 14/0 circle
mustad black demon 10/0(same size as standard mustad14/0)
owner ssw circle

j

gami 10/0 j
owner

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I love these discussions as they lead to bible material...:popcorn:

This is what P&S is about. Learn!!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Have heard all the horror of the Gami's. I have yet to have one come unbuttoned since I started using them.

I like the Mustad 92253 10/0 in a j hook. One bad ass hook.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
What's the problem with Gamakatsu circles? Haven't hooked into anything too big with 'em yet but if I'd be better off with something else I'd like to make the switch.
I used the offset Gami circles for one season.

And I lost waaay too many fish on that hook.

Lost most - if not all - in the wash.

Never again.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
What's the problem with Gamakatsu circles? Haven't hooked into anything too big with 'em yet but if I'd be better off with something else I'd like to make the switch.
I have heard different theories, one is that they are actually so sharp that they hook in the meat of the mouth instead of the lip like they should and pull out, another is the offset allows the fish to come unbuttoned.

All I know is I saw a nice cobe roll in the wash and swim off the last time I ever used a gammi circle.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I wrote a short piece on my theory of sharp vs dull circle hooks a while back...:)

It's because of the mechanics of a circle hook. If you will imagine the path it takes, from near a fish's throat (fish don't usually chew much after hitting a bait: it's bite and swallow) to the corner of the jaw, all while it's mouth is closed, you'll notice that there's a lot of soft tissue (like the tongue and "cheeks") to get hooked on.

A sharp, offset circle hook (like a Gami Octo-circle) will snag on the soft tissue and result in a quickly shaken hook-up. This is probably why Gami Octo-circles tend to get fish shaken off in the wash...this is when the forces of the current and gravity are at their strongest on the fish's mouth, therefore the most likely to rip the hook out of the soft tissue.

The reason a (relatively) small gap, non-offset and slightly dull circle hook is better for the hookup is due to the fact that it can travel the path from the fish's throat to the corner of the jaw without hooking any soft tissue. However, when the hook is pulled tight against the corner of the jaw, the circle hook "snaps" into position on the jaw hinge and gets lodged in the bony area. The bony area of the jaw hinge is very strong, as it is bony, with cartilaginous connective tissue, not soft skin.

As a side note, I've noticed that a lot of stripers are hooked in lower jaw with circle hooks and cut bait while drum are usually hooked in the corner. I have a theory for this: stripers usually cruise a few feet above the sea floor while drum tend to hug it pretty tight. When a striper picks up a bait on the sea floor (like off of a FF rig), the fish is at an angle, with the head down and the tail up. As it swallows and swims off, it swims forward as it goes back to cruising "altitude", with the leader trailing beneath it as it slides through the sinker slide. The mechanics apply and the hook tends to catch the bottom jaw. A drum's body tends to be fairly parallel to the sea floor, and fairly close, so that when it hits a bait and swims off, the leader is trailing beside it leading to a hook-up in the jaw hinge.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wrote a short piece on my theory of sharp vs dull circle hooks a while back...:)
Now THAT is some insight!! Extremely plausible theory!!! So far it sounds like, without a doubt, circle hooks are the way to go, but the Gamakatsu's have a pretty bad wrap for losing fish in the waves.?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Now THAT is some insight!! Extremely plausible theory!!! So far it sounds like, without a doubt, circle hooks are the way to go, but the Gamakatsu's have a pretty bad wrap for losing fish in the waves.?
Mike, more specifically, its due to the offset of the hook. Some people like to try and bend the offset out of the hook.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.