Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a SLOSH 30 and a 11'6'' Tica...One word...Beautiful!! When I first saw the reel I said to myself, Man this ain't that big, but I was wrong it is.. I can cast a good 175 to 185 yrds with it.. I know I always talk about the Squidder, but I don't know this is a he11 of a reel.. My 2 Cents

***I started this thread to talk about all casting reels.

Fred

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am using a 500L on a jarvis walker 10'. I can only hit 75yds and want to increase it to at least 125. I am looking into a setup just like yours, glad you found it:D

todd

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Lots of good reels out there...

I have the 30 GW and the Abu 6500 CS Mag...both are outstanding reels...the GW for a heaver and the Abu to sling metal up to 2 oz...

My next reel would be the Penn 525 Mag....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard alot of good about the 525 Mag... And the Abu's are fantastic almost picked up a 7000C3 but I hate casting a levelwind great distances..

Fred

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
BONITO6T9

JUST GOT THE 7000C3 FOR CHRISTMAS AND WAS GOING TO GET THE CONVERSION FOR IT TO CAST WITHOUT THE LEVELWIND, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD TRY IT WITH THE LEVELWIND ON FIRST. I AM CRAZY ABOUT THIS REEL, AND WON'T CHANGE A THING. I CAN CAST THIS LEVELWIND AS FAR AS MY SLOSH30, YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK. I'M GLAD I DID.....WALT D.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 7000C3 love it also but if your surf fishing with it you will most likely have trouble with the level wind at some point. As you know sand will find its way into everything and it will play havoc with the level wind mechanism, have replaced it once in my reel, coming off next time.:(

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Here's my list of favorites from my recent casting escapade in SC.

Diawa:
Grand Wave Z-20
355 yds/ 17#, 6.1:1 gr, 6 bearings

This reel is amazing, best I've seen from Diawa. It is VERY smooth to cast and the clamp-style reel seat (without the usual foot) lets you place the reel anywhere on the rod without coasters.

Abu Garcia:
Ambassadeur 7000C4
270 yds/ 20#, 4:1 gr

This reel is great but like Bonito said, levelwinds aren't perfect for casting. AG should make an open-face version of the Ambassadeur. I would probably buy it then.

Shimano: This one was a tie.
Trinidad 20
420 yds/ 20#, 6.2:1 gr

Nice reel. Casts well and has a huge line cap...which would be great if I could ever cast that far. This one was a little out of my price range at $399.99, but I thought the adjustable handle length was really cool.

Calcutta 400S
210 yds/ 17#, 4.7:1 gr

This is another good Shimano caster. Not as good as the Trinidad, but good enough for the average beach bum like me. Each Calcutta comes in levelwind, open-face, and HEG(used for fighting big fish) configs, which is pretty cool. Also a little pricey, but not awfully.

Penn:
Mag 525

Didn't actually get a chance to use it but from other posts it sounds like an awesome reel.

I ended up buying the Grand Wave. It wasn't too expensive and it suited my skill level. Plus, the clamp system lets me experiment in balancing my rod and trying the reel-down casting style.

There's my 2¢.

Evan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well Hell

I personally like my 525 mag for distance fishing with 20 lb test, I have put that baby 185 yards into birds with bait and pulled fish out. Now my 535 ain't all that bad either, I really like it too, comes close to the 525 with .40 on it. But when it comes to distance, 15 lb test BG on my Blue Yonder rocks. 12 lb tournament line gets me an easy 500 feet on the grass with it, no mags and my technique sucks. My little 5500 c3ctmag is so fast I am scared to cast that biatch with .28. Just got a 6500c3ctmag but I haven't even put line on it! Can't wait! Now those 555s, they rock too! 8nb8 no problemo 120 yards easy! Now those daiwas are fast! I had to mag an SHV 30 for a friend because it was way too fast! He would spend all day picking lashes and respooling. All it needed was one .25x.10 REM. Am I a tackle ho or what? LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeh Newcaster.....

I would say that you are a tackle ho. The next question is...Do you have a rod for each one of those reels? That would really let us know that you really are a tackle ho. I have never thrown or fished with a 535. Would like to some day. Nice picture!!! :) pelican man.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
As I look at that picture, "newcaster" doesn't seem like an appropriate handle. I expect you didn't accumulate that collection overnight.

Perhaps "oldcaster" might make a better fit, even "beentheredonethatcaster"

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, I confess

can't fish today said:
As I look at that picture, "newcaster" doesn't seem like an appropriate handle. I expect you didn't accumulate that collection overnight.

Perhaps "oldcaster" might make a better fit, even "beentheredonethatcaster"

:D
I am not new to fishing but am just getting started tournament casting. Thats not even a 1/4 of my reels LOL. Yes I do have rods to go along with most all those reels not to mention assorted lines from 4 lb test all the way to 1600 lb cable for large shark.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Uh-oh, it might be worse than I thought. Perhaps you might need to consider a 12-step addiction recovery program :)

Anyhow, thanks for posting the picture. Don't hesitate to share more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We are using what you see in the picture. I think most of them are the best makes in this world.

When it comes to big distance. I still trust Abu Garcia....

Can you spot the reels in the picture??

My friend Adrick with a Zziplex Vmax F2 n a 6500 Mag Elite

·
Registered
111 Posts
Edmund!

What types of fish do you guys catch over there? I have run across several websites from guys in Singapore and Indo and I gotta say that it is awesome to see the sport taking off over there!

Justin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts