Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not worrying about distance casting right now, just fishing distance. I'll be throwing 6+bait usually on a 12' OM 3-6 oz rod with a Daiwa SLX 20SHA spooled with 17 lb test. The reel will be serviced like a fishing reel. I have a field that I can cast about 160 yards in, I think that will work fine for a while.

What's the most practical cast to learn (for my first power cast) that can be safely used while fishing in crowded beaches, and who makes a good cheap bulk line to cast with? I'll spool with fresh premium line before I go fishing.

Is there a distance casting 101 thread anywhere?

Thanks.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
I'm not worrying about distance casting right now, just fishing distance. I'll be throwing 6+bait usually on a 12' OM 3-6 oz rod with a Daiwa SLX 20SHA spooled with 17 lb test. The reel will be serviced like a fishing reel. I have a field that I can cast about 160 yards in, I think that will work fine for a while.

What's the most practical cast to learn (for my first power cast) that can be safely used while fishing in crowded beaches, and who makes a good cheap bulk line to cast with? I'll spool with fresh premium line before I go fishing.

Try BPS titeline 10 lb test in hi-vis yellow. .31 mm and cheap.

Start with the groundcast. It is the fundamental cast and will help you in any powercast you may try in the future. Take a look at these two clips, it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuMsGfQczw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnqhCpJTVU&feature=channel

Is there a distance casting 101 thread anywhere?

http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34704

Thanks.
Tommy

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks. I'll look for a pound of 17 next time I get out, they didn't have any where I went today. The 12 should be fine to practice casting and trash it when it gets old/backlashes and before I go fish, right? I'll use a 50 or 60 lb shocker.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Would a OTG be advised while on a crowded beach?

·
Registered
909 Posts
if the ofg cast means off the ground cast that I posted the video of yes with the exception that I explained do not put the bait on the ground set the rod parallel with your shoulder with a short line 12- 18'' no more and in one motion smooth no jerk let it go look at the sky about 40 degrees. after you get a feel for that then you can try the other casts in the other videos those casts take skill and time to learn . they come from the side and timing is everything straight over the top is best at first . get used to your set up and the experiment from there IMHO

·
Registered
712 Posts
for beginning and crowded beaches i'd suggest using the brighton, unitech, or hi-inertia cast. that cast can be done in a crowd. matter of fact 9rock added a clip of it.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
The ground cast covered in the fundamentals video clips is a full blown tournament version. Lots of rotation with the rod going through about 270 degrees of rotation. When I made this it was really targeted toward tournament casting. Should you use this cast on a crowded beach???

Absolutely not.

The ground cast is the best way to practice fundamentals that can be applied to any powercast. Arm extension, body rotation (which can be increased or decreased depending on surroundings) and the punch/pull can all be practiced more effectively.

When I'm casting from a crowded beach like the point at Cape Hatteras I would not use a pendulum or a ground cast that required a lot of body rotation. For me this is where the Hatteras cast shines. Basically a modified or areolized ground cast that was developed for casting in heavy crowds and still gives good distance.

The Unitech and Brighton casts are also very effective tight quarter casts as others have posted.

Practice is the key and practicing the right techniques will really cut down the learning curve.

Tommy

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again. I'll get it down and practice practice practice once deer season goes out. Then pick a cast for crowds and start on it. Once I start hitting 150 yards I'll have to find a new field to practice in. ;)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
you can use the OTG on a crowded beach. i do it alot of times.
just use ALOT less rotation, instead of holding the rod tip 270deg. hold it like 180-200deg.
itll have the same effect, except less loading from turning...
but im pretty sure you know how to slap it hard and make up for loss rotation right?

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't even have my reel yet. :redface:

But I'll practice doing it different ways. I'll do actual beach casts while it's still cold and there's no tourists so make sure I can do it in a crowded beach.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
One more tip,

When using any powercast ALWAYS use a shockleader and check it often for abrasions and nicks. Also, learn to tie good knots and check them on a regular basis as well.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.