Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm originally from Greenville. Typically fish 4x4 beaches but don't have a 4x4 now and live in Cary. I do have a surf cart and am looking to make a couple trips a year to beaches i can just walk over. I tried fort Macon but it's 3 hours away which makes it hard for a day trip. What do you guys think are my best options for beaches to fish that I can access with a surf cart and aren't a real long drive? Trying to keep it around 2-1/2 hours or less. Don't want to fish near crowds of people swimming and stuff either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a beater 4x4 and go to Ft fisher
Not in the cards right now.

Seems like Wilmington area is clearly the closest option. Guess I'll just fish those beaches in the fall and spring when people aren't around and in the water as much.

Which of those beaches would y'all recommend for surf fishing? Carolina or Wrightsville??

·
Registered
16 Posts
To avoid crowds, Topsail is a good bet. Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach are pretty good options too. Carolina/Kure is a little more crowded in my experience, but in the spring and fall it's a fine option. I gave up on Wrightsville (even though I grew up going there) due to the crowds.

Fishing will be different from those beaches, especially as you go farther south, beaches are more flat. I have only fished Sunset a couple of times, but was able to catch good numbers of panfish both times just casting shrimp into/just beyond the suds. Even managed a couple 14" whiting there last trip (would have been last August I think). I've heard long casts get bigger fish on those beaches, but it was a little too crowded for me to comfortably cast the 13 ft. rod the times I've been.

If you look around on Topsail you can find structure, and you'll be rewarded for it. Not as much structure as OBX/South Core banks beaches, but more than the southern beaches, and worth the reward if you find some good beach structure. It's a great compromise if you don't want to drive all the way to the OBX for a weekend trip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To avoid crowds, Topsail is a good bet. Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach are pretty good options too. Carolina/Kure is a little more crowded in my experience, but in the spring and fall it's a fine option. I gave up on Wrightsville (even though I grew up going there) due to the crowds.

Fishing will be different from those beaches, especially as you go farther south, beaches are more flat. I have only fished Sunset a couple of times, but was able to catch good numbers of panfish both times just casting shrimp into/just beyond the suds. Even managed a couple 14" whiting there last trip (would have been last August I think). I've heard long casts get bigger fish on those beaches, but it was a little too crowded for me to comfortably cast the 13 ft. rod the times I've been.

If you look around on Topsail you can find structure, and you'll be rewarded for it. Not as much structure as OBX/South Core banks beaches, but more than the southern beaches, and worth the reward if you find some good beach structure. It's a great compromise if you don't want to drive all the way to the OBX for a weekend trip.
Thanks for the tips. And what do you mean exactly by structure? Like bars, holes, cuts, and stuff, or actual structure in the water

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do mean bars, troughs, etc. The more southerly beaches are really flat, and the outside bar tends to be way out there. Interestingly, like I mentioned before you can still do pretty well on those beaches. The farther north you get, the more you seem to find pronounced troughs and cuts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do mean bars, troughs, etc. The more southerly beaches are really flat, and the outside bar tends to be way out there. Interestingly, like I mentioned before you can still do pretty well on those beaches. The farther north you get, the more you seem to find pronounced troughs and cuts.
Cool. I'm used to fishing beaches with more defined features like CALO and other similar beaches. Sounds like topsail would be more of what I'm used too then. Idk what to do if I see a flat beach with one bar way out there haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You pretty much just throw out there and wait. I'm in the same boat, and when we did a day trip to Sunset last year I wasn't too enthusiastic when I saw the beach. It didn't take long for a lob cast to produce some whiting, and like I mentioned earlier I even scored on a ~14" fish before we left. Talking to a few folks, it's not uncommon to catch puppy drum from the beach there. The fish just hang out around/just beyond the breakers, presumably at random.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts