Pier and Surf Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Best Truck on the beach is the one that belongs to your fishing buddy, you know the one that has no real sense, but has a lot of extra gas and bait money and wants to fit in with the rest of your crew......

Advantages;

Great gas mileage (you pay zero for gas)

Designated Driver (in case fishing is slow and you need to tie one on)

In case of beach over wash due to storm conditions (your truck is safe at home)

Rust (your truck has to drive through less salt water, wheel bearing maintenance/replacement costs kept to minimum)

Riding Shotgun (since you are not driving you can enjoy the scenery)
Garbo - that is hilarious:D. Do you write for a living?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jeep Wrangler if you want to go anywhere! Old Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 if you want lots of dry space, Toyota or Nissan if you need the truck bed to haul big sharks home!
The actual best 4x4 I ever owned was my slightly modified Suzuki Samuri ! 3 inch lift, 4.56 gears, big Mickey Thompson sand tires, header and some other engine mods. It was a real crawler but it rode much worse than my Jeep JK! The JK doesn't really ride that bad on the road.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Early Bronco, 302 3spd,positrac front and rear, true 4wheel drive. Low range, 2nd gear for soft stuff, low 3rd for hard stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
had a 99 jeep wrangler all stock that did great on the OBX. If you are just looking for a sand rider I would look for a used wrangler.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The best ones are whatever you can get that's been well maintained, don't worry about a bit of rust(she'll get more) Starts and stops as needed.

Most important is that it's payed for , You don't need to be making payments on something that's declining in value and condition .

We all would like to have a Cool Beach Ride , But is it practical for the number of days a year it gets used. that being said,if you live there will that's a different game altogether.

Just my way of thinking, I'd rather have the means to repair as needed , Then a high dollar ride that I don't want to see rot with rust before it's payed for

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 1999 k1500 Suburban always aired down will carry us all down the beach. It has been used on the beach and its gonna rust away one day. I have stayed on top of the little bit of corrosion that I can. I paid 2500 for it with 138,000 miles. Its not perfect. I have spend good money on the a/c but its always something else. Front end 10 rod and cooler rack, top basket, roof rod holder. 265/75x15 Michelin M/S about half worn down. Bubba cruises down the beach easily and comfortable with room for all. Pulled the flats boat to Corpus Christi, TX and Mosquito Lagoon, FL this year. Mine had been wrecked and repaired and the paint job sucks as most old GMs do by now. It's my extra car and will pull the soft sand of FF without trouble but I do stay on the top level. I see lots of Cherokees running the beaches but the cost along the coast is kinda high. If I was shopping I would look for one inland. Good luck in your search and I'd drive the old one until death was imminent.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Early Bronco, 302 3spd,positrac front and rear, true 4wheel drive. Low range, 2nd gear for soft stuff, low 3rd for hard stuff.
I saw a 68 I think tricked up beauty a few weeks ago I was foaming at the mouth, easy 25 k for that ride today

61 - 69 of 69 Posts