Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:fishing:Gulp!:fishing:
Anyone else love Gulp! like me? That stuff is amazing for flounder, drum, trout, and blues. What I do is:
1.Tie on a white 3/8oz or 6/8oz orange jig head.
2.Select your Gulp!(3-inch molting or 4-inch pearl white works best for me).
3.Put your Gulp! on the jig head
4.Cast and start catching:):):):)

This is proven a deadly way to catch fish in Davis Canal on Oak Island, I wouldn't be surprised if it would work for you in the creek or canal. I hope this info. proves very effective for you as it has for me!:popcorn:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gulp are awesome and I've caught a lot of flounder on the pearl white 3" shrimp. But I tried something a little different this past weekend. Was in the Virginia mountains visiting a friend a we were having trouble getting rainbows to cooperate. We tried flies and small spinners for a few hours with no luck. My buddy had a jar of Gulp earthworms and did those do the trick. It was the first time I ever saw Gulp earthworms and you'd swear they were going to crawl out of the jar. Caught some nice trout!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thinnk it's a jerk mullet 4" caught some in NH the other day....Gulp ...mostly green lookin'. the water was like a pond that day, though

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Gulps are great stuff as long as the water temps are warm, say over 60* F. After the water cools below that temp they lose their softness and abililty to 'swim' like a regular rubber grub because the stuff they're made with gets hard in the cold water. But that's just the paddle-tail or curly-tailed ones that usually have a good swimming motion. They do still have stink but that's nowhere as important as motion (IMO) if you're fishing for something like Trout, Flounder or Striper that chase baitfish for food.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Berkley Gulp

Caught more fish this weekend than you would believe, Rudee Inlet, Mullet in Pumkinseed! everything will hit them.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Gulps are great stuff as long as the water temps are warm, say over 60* F. After the water cools below that temp they lose their softness and abililty to 'swim' like a regular rubber grub because the stuff they're made with gets hard in the cold water. But that's just the paddle-tail or curly-tailed ones that usually have a good swimming motion. They do still have stink but that's nowhere as important as motion (IMO) if you're fishing for something like Trout, Flounder or Striper that chase baitfish for food.
Don't know about the flounder,caught some nice ones on pearl white gulp shrimp in late Jan last yr and the yr before... ;)

Yeap,gulps are great,but they do get into your pocketbook...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Don't know about the flounder,caught some nice ones on pearl white gulp shrimp in late Jan last yr and the yr before... ;)

Yeap,gulps are great,but they do get into your pocketbook...
I agree, smoked the schoolies in all the way down to 49* water last winter on gulp.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I agree, smoked the schoolies in all the way down to 49* water last winter on gulp.
Alright fellas get off my hind parts !! :D

If you noticed I didn't say they didn't work but I'm one of those that like to watch the action of my lures as I retrieve them and noticed the lack of motion with the Gulps! when the water cools. I guess you still have the 'stink' ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bluefish=costly

The biggest downfall to them I've had is that if there is any sort of bluefish in the water, it's going to cost you! Pinfish will straight nip the tails off the swimming mullet too...that gets old fast at more than $5 a bag. The stuff is awesome for sure though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
love the gulp also, I've been wondering about the gulp "juice"?? I assume it is the same for all the different baits. ie shrimp, swimming mullet, shad, just different colors but same scent??

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I like the 5" jerk shads in pearl white and nuclear chicken. The only problem with the gulp is the price!!! Usually when I buy them, I might get one package, so I never really thought about the price. The other day I decided to pick some up at OE2, and I don't know whether all the colors got to me or what, but next thing I know I had about 6 or 7 bags!!! I get up to the counter, get my usual eels and finger mullet, and by the time the cash register got don with me the cashier says, "That'll be $76.95."....lol.. MAANNN,,,, my face literally looked like this :eek:. Hell, I could have gone on an offshore trip for a bit more!!! lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
love the gulp also, I've been wondering about the gulp "juice"?? I assume it is the same for all the different baits. ie shrimp, swimming mullet, shad, just different colors but same scent??
They make the spray bottles that are like $8.99 for all flavors: Shrimp, Garlic, ect.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Puppies, flounder, blues, black drum....3" white shrimp.... all outta the same hole, on the same tide...

Made me a believer...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts