Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in jax the year the pier went down in the hurricain, have they rebuilt it or are they planning to? talked to a couple friends of mine who said they tore it down and may build one further down the beach. learned to king rig on that pier. lots of memories.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It looks as if they might open by August of 2004.
March 14, 2003
The oceanfront fishing pier in Jacksonville Beach that was first supposed to open two years ago won't be open until about April 2004, officials said this week.

November 2003 had been the latest in a series of projected opening dates for the $3.2 million fishing pier that Jacksonville plans to build at Fourth Avenue North.

The pier's construction schedule has been delayed repeatedly since Jacksonville bought the pier at Sixth Avenue South for $650,000 in March 2000.

The pier is designed to be 20 feet wide, 1300 feet long and have concrete pilings and a wooden deck, a concession stand and rest rooms, metal roof, covered seating area, four fish-cleaning stations and a 30-by-48-foot T-shaped area at the end for fireworks demonstrations.

November 22, 2003
The concrete pier now extends 185 feet east of the bulkhead that runs between the SeaWalk and the beach
Construction began Sept. 10 and is on schedule to finish by the end of August 2004, Jacksonville project manager Bill Lyle said.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you ever king rig at the jax pier? my name is frank and i fished there on the end all the time. i dont remember the names of alot of the guys there that i fished with as it was about 4 years ago. one was al grant and his two sons and i remember an old man who used to wear long sleves and gloves because he had skin cancer. and a bunch of the pier rats who always fished there. john was one and a hawaiian kid, cant remember his name. anyhow moved up here to va beach to work and fish the outer banks all summer now. whats your name? may have crossed your path.

and thanks for the info on the pier, i remember that the city bought it from the woman who owned it after it went down. sounds like the new one will be storm proof, thats good.

i used to run the shoneys restaurant on lane ave and fished jax every summer all summer long as long as i lived there.

any how take care and stay in touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts