Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....cause I was so busy working out the new style taught by Neil at the clinic!

Hope to finally give that thing a whirl here real soon; heading to Buxton on Tues-Fri to try for a few more reds before they're all gone. I keep hesitating to use that low-reel position cause it's totally new to me but may find I enjoy it. If and when, I'll post up the results! John.

·
Registered
35 Posts
reel mounted low?

I tried to find a thread on reel mounted low, but with no luck. Can someone explain what each hand does when you mount a conventional reel low? And, what's the theoretical advantage of doing so? Longer effective lenght of rod? what are the disadvantages?

·
Registered
303 Posts
westcoaster,

If you are right handed, the left hand is closest to the butt of the rod, the right hand is the one farther away from the butt.
The left hand controls the reel, the right is then free to hit the cast, without being concerned about the reel.

For most using long rods, the balance of the rod is better, and the low reel arrangement slows things down to make it a bit easier to get your timing down.

There are good casters who cast high reel in tournaments, most cast low reel.

Blaine :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
well put blaine, if your right handed you transfer more power to the rod and the cast. i started with the high reel position when i first started distance casting but found more power and distance with the low reel. but it still takes alot of practice no matter which position you use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts