Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have something like 6 small books and this folding guide thing that I've been carrying around with me as I try to learn more about surf fishing. And I thought, wouldn't it be nice to consolidate some of this into something that's easier for me to look at.

I decided to put together a document for myself that could act as a Quick Reference Guide. I'm going to laminate it and take it with me down to the beach. I've worked on it a couple days now and got to a point where I am looking for some help.

First, you have to understand my purpose of this thing. It is not to teach someone all about surf fishing. It is essentially meant to be a "reminder" system for things I've learned previously but forget quickly because I lack the experience of actually doing them. For instance, I have practiced all of the knots on the Knots page, but I don't necessarily remember the steps immediately when I'm out on the beach for the knot I want to tie. I just need a quick reminder and then I've got it.

As I created it, I thought that maybe some other beginner's like me could use it too. So I worked on the formatting some to make it as user-friendly as possible. Now, if you understand what I'm trying to do, then please take a look at this thing. It's in a PDF format.

I wasn't sure how to post a PDF file here so here's a link to it on my website:
http://www.7hillsweb.net/SurfFishing/Beginners Surf Fishing Guide.pdf

Page 1 - Common fish species - The little pics are to just remind me what each species looks like. I have never caught most of them...yet. It also gives me average sizes, preferred rigs, bait, lures, & hooks, and where & when to look for each species.

This is a section I hope to get some comments on. As I mentioned, I got this info out of books. You guys have the real world experience. Please feel free to correct me on anything or make suggestions on things to add. There is some info that I couldn't find anywhere in the books and I marked it with ??. And ALL of the Table Fare numbers are up in the air. I was doing a 1-5 rating system for this.

Page 2 - Rigs, Rigging Bait, Lures
- I tried to stick to the basics here. I got all of this info out of books too. Anything you see that you don't agree with? Any other tips on how to retrieve the lures? Any other great lure that I should add?

Page 3 - Gear List & Reading the Beach - What did I forget in the list? Remember this is for a beginner. :) What else should I add to reading the beach? Are my explanations clear? Are they correct? Again, got the reading the beach part from books.

Page 4 - Knots - Don't know how much you can correct on this. But if you think I should replace one of these with a different knot, let me know.

The next part of my plan is to make a 2 page version of this to fit front/back on 1 sheet. Anyway, if you have a few minutes, please take a look and give me your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Looks great! I wish I'd had this when I started. One suggestion: I'd replace "Snelling a Hook" with the nail knot. That snell knot is essentially a uni-knot on a hook, and the nail makes a better snell anyway.

Also, check your PMs.

Evan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks really good to me. This should be posted somewhere like in the bible IMO. May want to add that for spanish you can up the mono leader up to like 30# to 50# I normally use 40# but thats just what I have. Overall great looking bulletin good job.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Looks like a good start to me! :)

I'd add Gotcha lures to Spanish/Blues maybe.

It's mackerel, not mackeral, though. :)

AJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! I wish I'd had this when I started. One suggestion: I'd replace "Snelling a Hook" with the nail knot. That snell knot is essentially a uni-knot on a hook, and the nail makes a better snell anyway.
Sounds good. I hadn't put the uni-knot thing together on the hook. I'll change that.

VBpierkingmac said:
May want to add that for spanish you can up the mono leader up to like 30# to 50# I normally use 40# but thats just what I have.
Yeah. Each book I have says something a little different about the leader for SpanMacks. Some said user the heavier stuff and then others said not to because of their keen eyesight. Anyone else have an opinion on this one?

BubbaHoTep said:
I'd add Gotcha lures to Spanish/Blues maybe.

It's mackerel, not mackeral, though.
I'd seen Gotcha lures before and after doing a quick search I was overwhelmed by the amount of information on how great a lure they are. I'll definitely add them in there. Thanks.

Corrected the spelling too. :redface:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like a good start so far.

Just a thought. On Page 1 - Common fish species, you may be able to add bag and size limits. That is unless it is already on your measuring tool.

I also carry a condensed version of regulations. Was once checked by FWC and an item was in question. Came in handy for both of us that day. (We were both wrong!)

I also saw food, drinks, Ice. What? No BEER? Some on now. That just aint right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a good start so far.

Just a thought. On Page 1 - Common fish species, you may be able to add bag and size limits. That is unless it is already on your measuring tool.

I also carry a condensed version of regulations. Was once checked by FWC and an item was in question. Came in handy for both of us that day. (We were both wrong!)

I also saw food, drinks, Ice. What? No BEER? Some on now. That just aint right.
Isn't beer a food group?

Can you tell me where to find the bag and size limits? I'm assuming they're on a website somewhere. That sounds like a great idea though. They vary per state don't they? Suppose I could break it into several versions. Hmmm....

Also, where can you get the regulations you're talking about? I'm not even sure what you mean by that, so it sounds like something I should get familiar with.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would be a little careful with this, a lot of the images you have up there I have seen on other copyrighted materials. Also, not to poo poo on an obvious good bit of work, but they sell these right on the reel counter at Bass Pro Shops, I have a few of them in my tackle bags already. Laminated multipart fold ups.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Isn't beer a food group?

Can you tell me where to find the bag and size limits? I'm assuming they're on a website somewhere. That sounds like a great idea though. They vary per state don't they? Suppose I could break it into several versions. Hmmm....

Also, where can you get the regulations you're talking about? I'm not even sure what you mean by that, so it sounds like something I should get familiar with.
Not being from Va, but I would think this to be a good place to start. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/ You may also want to note any special permits necessary for some species. Like in Florida we need to purchase additional permits for snook and tarpon.

And yes, size and bag limits vary from state to state.

And I will concede that beer IS a basic food group. :beer:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would be a little careful with this, a lot of the images you have up there I have seen on other copyrighted materials. Also, not to poo poo on an obvious good bit of work, but they sell these right on the reel counter at Bass Pro Shops, I have a few of them in my tackle bags already. Laminated multipart fold ups.

What he is doing with these copyrighted materials is perfectly legal since they are for his personal use. If he were to start selling them, that would be a different matter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A valid concern. But I don't plan on profiting off of this so I think I'm ok there.

I should be going to my first Bass Pro Shop this weekend, so I'll take a look at those. The ones I've seen just don't have all the information I want. There are some good fish ones. I have one of those laminated, folding ones with the ruler on it. I've seen a couple with some of the same fish info too for different parts of the coast. Then you need a different one for knots and a different one for lures, etc.

The problem is that you have to have like 3 - 4 of them and there is much more information on them than a beginner would necessarily need. I just want to consolidate and focus on only the things I need. Plus it's free this way rather than $8 a pop for those guides. ;) Although I do like those things.

Added Tide Chart & Nail Knot for next revision.

I'm working up a size and bag limit chart. Am I correct making the assumption that if the fish is not listed then there is no minimum size or bag limit? (Spot, Kingfish, Croaker, Pompano)

I think I'm just gonna stick to the species I have on the first page, so hopefully no permits will apply. I'll try to check to be sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've now consolidated all of the information I've gathered so far onto 2 pages. This will give me a front and back that I plan on laminating to take with me down to the beach. The print may seem small when viewing on a computer but printed out it is easily readable.

Here's the link again:
http://www.7hillsweb.net/SurfFishing/Beginners%20Surf%20Fishing%20Guide.pdf

I think I'm pretty close to being done with it. I'm gonna try to verify all the info I have on the size & bag limit chart. But let me know if anything jumps out at you.

I'd appreciate any further comments or suggestions about anything on this. Again, this is all just things I've picked up from the web and books....not experience.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.