Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Stumbled across this website and trying to learn as much as I can. I am looking to get into fishing from the beach. I am shopping for the rod, reel and everything I would need. I was hoping for some suggestions and to be steered in the right direction. I am from New Jersey and would be fishing at Sandy Hook. From my research a 9 foot pole is suggested for beginners. If I am on the bigger side ( 6 foot 1 , 225 pounds ) should I go bigger? I was thinking a 10 foot pole. Also from my research the pole should be medium - heavy power and medium action? I have seen some articles also suggesting medium to medium light and fast action. I have never fished from the shore so I would love for something that is perfect for beginners that will also be perfect for me after I am comfortable with everything.
Now for the reel and the line I don't really have an idea. Im thinking a medium spinning reel so I could catch small and big fish with no problems, 20-25 pound line?
I really don't know much about this stuff and I am just repeating this stuff I have read from articles.
I would love suggestions on which fishing pole, reel and line to purchase. I am just a beginner so I am not looking to spend a ton of money on high end equipment.
Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go to where u are going to fish and see what the local crew uses. Ask questions. That way you dont end up wasting your money. I live on the outer banks and do 95% of my surf fishing with a 7ft med rod 2500 size reel and 8lb mono as do most guys I know (minus the mono). Specific species require heavier gear but on your average day I am not catching or targeting trophy fish. Oh, and I am 6'3 235 haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go to where u are going to fish and see what the local crew uses. Ask questions. That way you dont end up wasting your money. I live on the outer banks and do 95% of my surf fishing with a 7ft med rod 2500 size reel and 8lb mono as do most guys I know (minus the mono). Specific species require heavier gear but on your average day I am not catching or targeting trophy fish. Oh, and I am 6'3 235 haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depends what you want to spend. For starting out but not getting garbage I would say the ugly stik 8’ medium power big water with a penn fierce 2 3k-4K reel (they’re on sale at dicks for like 50$)

·
Registered
17 Posts
What eltonjohn said, 1000%.

It's hard to speculate on what you need for that specific area, because surf fishing is so different from one spot to another. And like eltonjohn said, most of the fish I catch from the beach I can catch with 7 ft rods and 2000-4000 sized spinning reels. There are times and places though where I will leave those rods at home, or at the very least in the truck, because I need to throw a little more weight or to put the bait a little farther out.

There is no better way to learn a new fishing spot than to go there and see what's working. In my experience, you can go to any fishing spot and ask questions politely and learn just about all you need to know.

Tackle shops are another good option, but you really can't beat talking to fishermen, especially those that are catching fish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you live on the Western Shore of Maryland near Annapolis, go to “Anglers“ they have everything.
Also, do some reading like from “Stripers on Line”. Also, look at Lenny Rudow’s “Fish Talk” -
he’s the man.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In Jersey you probably need a lighter rod to catch flounder, small blues, blow toads, whiting and the occasional sea robin and dog fish. You also need a rod that is a bit more stout to throw plugs for stripers and big blues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like slosh said “
There is no better way to learn a new fishing spot than to go there and see what's working. In my experience, you can go to any fishing spot and ask questions politely and learn just about all you need to know.

Tackle shops are another good option, but you really can't beat talking to fishermen, especially those that are catching fish.”

When you ask politely, doesn’t hurt to have cooler with something cold in it either. There are times when a cold can will open the knowledge chest up wide and if so, you will be drinking from the fire hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts