Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine has a boat( 19' center console) and is quite a novice. He wants to launch his boat for the first time out of Sandy Point State Park, MD. Looking at the forecast there is a small craft advisory until friday evening. How serious is this and would you suggest going out in the bay? tomorrow is the only available day he has for a quite a wihle.. thanks for your input/advice!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply!! since i have no boating experience either, im assuing that riding the waves mean not taking them head on? bear with me, please

·
Registered
484 Posts
The bay can be very treachorous. I am not sure a novice should go out for the first time in rough seas. Be very careful if you do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what i mean by riding the waves is if your your going with them just stay on top of them like surfing if against themjust slow down when hitting the big ones and try not to let them hit your side

·
Registered
824 Posts
a buddy of mine has a boat( 19' center console) and is quite a novice. He wants to launch his boat for the first time out of Sandy Point State Park, MD. Looking at the forecast there is a small craft advisory until friday evening. How serious is this and would you suggest going out in the bay? tomorrow is the only available day he has for a quite a wihle.. thanks for your input/advice!
DON'T GO!
Inexperience and rough water, two things that start a bad day.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
yeah jerk b. said it best, there will be better days. I know that when u have that shot to go out and it's your only one after a long while, the excitement gets the best of you. Don't let it!!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
been that route....never again. 'don't be that guy'...it makes for stories, but someday you may not be able to tell that story.

work your way up. you never know what can happen.
i also have a new thing that i practice. 'don't be the last one back to the dock'

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
And as far as taking waves head first...The best way to take large wave/seas is with the boat aimed at a 45 degree angle when going into them with the bow

·
Registered
854 Posts
That does not always apply,yes that is one of several approaches they teach in Sailing school. To much angle can cause a Broaching situation.And with following seas try to stay on the backside. Each vessel will respond differently in different conditions.If you and your friend are inexperienced stay in port. I recommend a Seamanship Course.Or better yet take an experienced helmsman with you.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
IF he has all his approved safety equipment i say go for it. go hard or go home
That was stupid.
IF your scared say your scared I always say,why own a boat if your not going to use it.
That was worse than stupid.
That does not always apply,yes that is one of several approaches they teach in Sailing school. To much angle can cause a Broaching situation.And with following seas try to stay on the backside. Each vessel will respond differently in different conditions.If you and your friend are inexperienced stay in port. I recommend a Seamanship Course.Or better yet take an experienced helmsman with you.
Take the course. Learn the boat. Easy to say "GO GO GO" when your feet are on solid ground. To eacourage 2 non boaters to "JUST DO IT" is WRONG.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I must say, that was quite a range of responses. appreciate all the input. needless to say, we managed well for the limited time we were out there. last weekend and today are much more preferable conditions. again, thanks for the input and cautions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts