Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in on a thread earlier and was informed on how to check bearings for sameness and something about the bearing shields. I have been curious about bearing upgrades for my abus. I have a couple of blue yonders and a cs rocket that I want to make as fast as I can handle. I know there are 2 bearings on the spool. I have read about the levelwind bearing upgrade and another cog bearing or something like that. I do not want to make any permanent mods to my reels so bearings seem to be the next obvious step, if they will make my reels slicker so I can get more line out on a cast. So, how many bearings can you get into a stock abu, where do they go, do they really help, and what do they help with?:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
IMO, the BY is as fast as most fisherman need right out the box. If you feel you need it faster, by all means upgrade the bearings and/or play with different oils. As for your CS model, you can get bearing upgrades that put bearings on both sides of the worm gear on the level wind to cut down on parasitic friction, as well as a cog gear that connects the worm gear to spool with a bearing. Not a bad idea to upgrade those. The cheapest and most effective way to increase distance is to work on your form for casting. When I started to work on my casting abilities, I was able to get 600' measured out of a stock BY. (no bait, just a weight)

Robert

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Max # of bearings that affect the cast: 9, if you know where to look ;)

In those reels, you can get 5 in there. 2 in the spool, 1 in the idler and 1 on either end of the levelwind.

Adding bearings to the levelwind assembly will make the reel smoother and have the potential to increase your casting distance. To increase that potential even more, I would say make that thing a CT. You won't look back.

Evan

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Max # of bearings that affect the cast: 9, if you know where to look ;)

Evan
I am thinking that the 5 bearings in a CS model and 2 in the CT.... Not all of us are as fortunate as you to install bearings in our shoulders and elbows to help casting. You may be on to something. :D (I am assuming we are referring to the most important bearings in casting not including under the handle sideplate ;))

Robert

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I am thinking that the 5 bearings in a CS model and 2 in the CT.... Not all of us are as fortunate as you to install bearings in our shoulders and elbows to help casting. You may be on to something. :D (I am assuming we are referring to the most important bearings in casting not including under the handle sideplate ;))

Robert
You kidding? I wish I had shoulder bearings! Maybe I should talk to whoever installed Troy's. That guy is so smooth, I think he has gas bearings instead of joints.

:D:D

Evan

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have an older 6500 c3. It has two in the side plates, two in the level wind and one one the gear stem. Now that baby is smooth. Old style smooth.:)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sounds like you need to look at some Schematics first. Here is a link that will help. http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/
As far as Bearing Maintenance this is a great site as Allan is very knowledgeable. http://alantani.com/index.php

And Jerry has a lot of help also http://www.hookless.com/
Hope this helps. Also as stated The B/Y out of the box is hard to beat. If you want it Real Fast Remove the brake blocks, Run it dry,and adjust the spool to a very loose setting. And have plenty of Bird Seed around as the nest you will have should house a lot of winged friends.LOL. :fishing::beer:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big thanks

Thanks for all the great replies! So, in the cs rocket I can get one in the idler, one more on the wormgear, and replace the two on the spool and on the byct theres only the 2 in the spool worth replacing. Have I got it right? The cs I will use on a rod for throwing metal and I want to get it out there so if it will help with distance, the bearings in the idler and wormgear it is. I use it for throwing light bait, too, but I use it on my close in rod then. The BYs I guess are good like they are other than maybe putting ceramics in the spool. I have experimented a little and well, the brakes are staying :eek:. I tried the bullet off a mag reel and made a little bidsnest, too:D. I will admit that my casting needs work. I use a hatteras cast, from what I have seen on youtube and I feel like i could use some work but I gotta say every so often especially after fishing for a day or two I get some "D#@N that ones out there" comments from my buddies. Especially with a west wind. I want to start experimenting with heavier rods but thats another thread altogether. Thanks again fellas! and Let me know if I sound like ive got the idea. I am totally open to your advice.:fishing:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You seem to be on the right track. Keep this in mind, with reels like the BY, abu designed a reel to work as efficiently as possible in fishing conditions. When you start to change out bearings and oils, make sure you are willing to put the time in to perform the extra needed maintenance. The hot bearings you are talking about that distance guys use and the various oils used as well are not intended to last a season of fishing without maintenance. Once you start to play with ceramic or single shielded bearings, just be prepared to clean and re-oil a lot more often then what was stock. Personally, I don't use the ceramic or single shielded bearings in my fishing reels. I am too lazy to maintain them properly. LOL

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.