Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of Boca "lightning" Abec 5 hybrids in a 7500 C3CT that is my big reel, when fishing a tandem at 43 or 44 at Hatteras. Having not had the chance to get to the beach until this past week I strung all rods and headed down. I noticed that the Bocas were making an unruly screech when cast. This is the first time I have actually installed them without the protective shield on the inside of the bearing. Does this have something to do with the incredible racket? I can definitely decipher when the spool is playing games but this is the first time I have heard this wail in 16 years of surf casting. Like a metal on metal high pitched squeal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they have a quarter drop of yellow RF in them and have been cleaned dried with compressed air. The screech seemed to only occur when I pulled the cast. IE no noise when cast was delivered directly in line.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Ceramics can very noisy when cast dry. I'm not sure exactly what you're saying about the pulling versus in line, but I run two drops of RRF in my hybrids to cut down noise and add control to the cast.

Evan

·
Registered
862 Posts
That sounds pretty unusual. To me it sounds like you do not have enough oil in the bearings. Not having the one shield should not make a difference. How is you spool tension set? If it is too loose sometimes that can cause noise.

John

·
Registered
309 Posts
Too tight can also cause noise. I've had that problem and put it down to the spindle being under pressure and slightly out of true.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
It is hard to attempt to diagnose a reel without seeing and hearing what is going on. But, have you verified there is nothing wrong with the C-clip on the handle side of the spool?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Pull the bearings back out and test run them (clean and dry) on a chopstick or similar apparatus. Listen close and watch as the bearing spins. If there is anything wrong with one of the bearings, it should be noticeable.

There is a chance that a bearing was damaged in shipping, or during the shield removal.

The only way to diagnose the problem is eliminate one possibility at a time.

If the bearings seems ok, look elsewhere-- including spool balance-- when seriously out of balance, that can make a reel scream like a banshee.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a chance to take the same 7500 down to the water this morning. No extreme screeching like in original post. Now I have the chattering sound indicative of not enough oil in the bearings. I will pull it apart and reclean and reoil with slightly more oil, to see if that works. I had this baby casting on the outside of the bar at 43. This morning sea mullets, small biters, pan size bluefish, and 1, 8 or 9 lb. bluefish. Saw 2 other large blues come out next to me.
In the mean time, Any of you readers try to diagnose this: I took my new QTC 6600w with me this morning and probably wouldn't have fished it if I hadn't cracked off my stock 6500 Mag elite. I strung it up and cast it with a 5 0z. tournament sinker only. Started out slowly but by the 4th or 5th cast she was on the outside of the bar and increasing in distance every try. During flight it has a strange vibration eminating from the left spool cap. Is it possible that the bullet is rotating underneath, or does it sound like a bearing problem.Thanx

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
sounds like spool balance to me. you do know spool balance is a product of line lay? if you do not lay the line back on the reel correct the spool balance will be off and not as it was when you got it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I built this critter up myself and have always taken a hands on approach to maintaining ,altering my Abus, I think that is what makes them so great. I do have a dynamic balancer underneath, centered on the spool. 1 tight doughnut in the middle and then filled the left side and then the right. Is there a better way to do it? Does the balancer line wt. have anything to do with it, I have big game 15# under the 17# Tritanium spool line, most of the other reels have like 12# under 17# My line lay has always been many more wraps than what I have been told or read here. Spools look more like a spool of thread than what I presume to look like a diamond cross as referenced by 6 to 7 wraps before returning the other way. I am curious about what a particular line lay on the spool accomplishes and what advantages can be had. My stock mags, and 7500, fly excellently with this[thread spool] pattern on the spools. Is it not true that less wraps would mean a faster tip speed? I don't normally have any problems controlling any of my reels, even when they are right at fluff stage.The reason I asked about the bullet is that I have heard that not all are true and when ordering you should get extras in case of machining error. I suppose I will take them all apart again for inspection, Thanx to those who contributed.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
The point on spool balance is to check it with the bearings dry-- that is the best way to tell-- if the spool comes to the end of a spin test and wants to rotate and stop at a certain spot- that spot is going to be with any heavy side down (on the bottom).

I think Air down is correct-- I suspect spool balance as well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there referenced material on how the line should be applied or on proper procedure for amount of wraps per pass on the spool? C'mon now give a dog a bone.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
trial and error. put it on and check if not right ya gotta take it off and do it again.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Is there referenced material on how the line should be applied or on proper procedure for amount of wraps per pass on the spool? C'mon now give a dog a bone.
Tommy did a complete video of spool balancing on you tube-- you should be able to get a link by doing a search here-- or search TommyCCP on you tube.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Surf Cat, If the spool wants to return to a naturally gravitational position at the end of said test, what can be done about it? If spool tolerance is that far out so that spool in fact wants to roll back over, what would you do replace the spool. Obvious answer is readjust the line on spool? There are some down Hatteras way that would certify this is "Broken In" .

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Surf Cat, If the spool wants to return to a naturally gravitational position at the end of said test, what can be done about it? If spool tolerance is that far out so that spool in fact wants to roll back over, what would you do replace the spool. Obvious answer is readjust the line on spool? There are some down Hatteras way that would certify this is "Broken In" .

I would first try arranging the inital line lay to correct for any inherent spool balance issues-- if after several tries this doesn't work, you can try adding a bit of weight to the light area (at the top of spool when it comes to rest) Sometimes all it takes is a small piece of tape stuck to the high spot to bring things back in balance-- most spools can be balanced just by the line lay method-- ocassionally you might run into one that won't balance no matter what-- it might be the spool or a bent spindle-- if the reel just won't balance-- I add it to the "for sale" pile-- or keep it for parts for other reels. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Bub, Let Me look at Tommys balancing thing first. I am going to open all 3 tonight and then go fish them at high tide @6 or 7 tomorrow morning and I will resume with the questions if you all have the patience. I do appreciate it. Peixaria [pronounced Pysharia] it s a Portuguese thing

·
Registered
245 Posts
No, they have a quarter drop of yellow RF in them and have been cleaned dried with compressed air. The screech seemed to only occur when I pulled the cast. IE no noise when cast was delivered directly in line.
That sounds pretty unusual. To me it sounds like you do not have enough oil in the bearings. Not having the one shield should not make a difference. How is you spool tension set? If it is too loose sometimes that can cause noise.

John
Since you are so precise as to measure out 1/4 drop of oil (25% of a drop) increase oil drop size to 1/3(33%) of a drop. This much oil might throw off the balance of your whole setup. But that can be corrected by using a sharpie and making a line exactly .996 of an inch long, one inch down from the tip of the rod. The line can be on top of the rod or the bottom.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.