Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This sucks.

(Our chopper is getting video for the 6pm newscast)

RESCUE UNDERWAY FOR 30 BEACHED WHALES
*Photos Available for download below*

PORTSMOUTH, Va. – A pod of 25 to 30 pilot whales have beached themselves across approximately five miles of beach near Oregon Inlet, N.C., this morning.

NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries) coordinates response to marine mammal strandings throughout the U.S. with the help of many partners who are members of the National Stranding Network.

Coast Guard crews and National Park Service personnel are also assisting in the rescue and recovery of the whales.

The Stranding Network has advised the public to report any other beached whales to (305) 862-2850. Do not attempt to move or free any whale that is beached. Please contact those trained professionals who are coordinating the rescue.

“NOAA Fisheries has biologists working this situation. We'll know more once we see some of the animals," said Laura Engleby, NOAA Fisheries marine mammal biologist. "It's always tough when large numbers of marine mammals strand themselves like this, but we are continuing to learn as much as we can about why this happens, and what we can do to help."

Click here for a link to some pics:
http://www.piersystem.com/external/index.cfm?fuseaction=external.docview&cid=651&documentID=60652

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
sh*tty..... it sucks to see sh*t like that.....

ntkg

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Obviously they beached seemingly by choice.

It will be interesting to see if they were sick.

Hate to see such marvelous mammals in such a mess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bet they were chasing something in close and just got there bearings messed up. I've heard accounts of that happening before. I also saw photos recently of huge schools of menhaden bal;led up near the coast of NC. Another fish they love are sea trout as well. I am no biologist, nor am I Cliff Klavin on cheers, but it seems as if that is logical...
What do you guys think?
TC

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I'm being told ...

The lady from NOAA told me they are working on the possibility that one or two of the whales were sick and beached themselves. The others in the group, which I'm told is pretty tight knit, followed the sick ones onto the beach.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I understand

They washed up between Coquina Beach and the OI.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That KH Free Press link is good.

Apparently there's a minke whale on the dirt in Corolla too. Doncha love active sonar testing??

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow

That's an interesting post, DD. It might be a little too early to speculate on Navy sonar as a cause.
However, check out the location of the TR today. The Navy was close by. Real close:

TR rescues stranded civilians

USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) responded to a call Saturday to assist three men stranded on their sailboat approximately 200 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C.
The Coast Guard first received a call of distress from the men at 4:55 p.m., and immediately made contact with the aircraft carrier, stating it was the closest in proximity to the vessel. TR was about 160 nautical miles northwest.
A Coast Guard C-130 made visual contact with the 36-foot vessel and was circling the area, keeping in constant radio communication.
TR sent an SH-60S Seahawk helicopter and an HH-60H Seahawk helicopter, both from the HS-3 “Tridents,” and launched an E-2C Hawkeye from the VAW-124 “Bear Aces,” to assess the situation and perform the rescue.
The men, all from Ottawa, Canada, set sail Wednesday from Moorhead City, N.C., headed for St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. They were flown back to TR and taken to medical for evaluation.
TR had been attempting to conduct flight deck certification in the same area but was forced to change locations and head north to calmer seas. Upon receiving the call, the carrier immediately turned around and headed back in the direction of the vessel to assist the three men.
All three men are in good condition. Names are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It appears the whales were beaching themselves
during the early a.m Saturday hrs in the Pea Island area. I would conclude theres no connection to the whale beachings and the stranded men mentioned in the above story because their rescue commerced after 4.p.m Saturday. That situation occured several hundred miles SE of Pea Island. Noah

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks, Noah

Please understand that I'm not trying to blame the Navy. I have considerable doubt that Navy sonar led to the strandings.
However, I'm not too sure they weren't in the area.
The whales started washing up at Pea Island early Saturday morning.
The Canadians called for help 200 miles Southwest of Cape Hatteras around 4:55pm the same day.
The TR was 160 miles Northwest of the Canadians when they got the stress call from them.

Not knowing the exact locations or routes of the Navy and the whales makes it very difficult to determine if they were near each other Saturday morning.
But it might be worth investigating.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
The link that Drumdum posted has some great shots.

Amazing that we still have no idea what causes these animals to commit mass suicide like this. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
34 Whales Dead on N. Carolina Beaches

FYI...

- http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/17/national/17whale.html?ei=5065&en=412781eb4179b225&ex=1106629200&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print&position=
January 17, 2005
"...Scientists and National Park Service workers worked Sunday to collect samples and clean up the carcasses of whales that had run ashore. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency's National Marine Fisheries Service was coordinating a recovery effort that involved biologists, Coast Guard crews and the National Park Service.

Along a five-mile stretch of beach near Oregon Inlet, 24 pilot whales died and seven others were euthanized because they were suffering, the National Park Service said.

A single minke whale was found dead in Corolla, north of Oregon Inlet, The Virginian-Pilot reported. Two pygmy sperm whales turned up Sunday morning near Buxton, south of the inlet, one already dead and one so sick that it also had to be euthanized, a federal biologist, Barbie Byrd, said.

It is not uncommon for pilot whales to beach themselves, but scientists do not know why."

:(

·
Registered
87 Posts
What gets me......

is all at or near the same time you got a minke, 30-35 pilots, and 2 pigmy sperm whales beaching themselves down, what, an 80 mile stretch. I know obx usually has a few flop up on da sand every year, but does it happen like is every time?
Sumpin' weird goin' on. Oh, and 200 miles under water(sound waves) ain't nothin' like at above it.
'em air whales can talk to each other hundreds of miles away, specially 'em bigun's.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts