Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im New To This . What Is Beach Nourshiment, And Any Idea When They Will Be Going North. To Little River. Will That Mess Up Fishing.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
When I talked to the guys on CG pier, I gathered that the nourishment (pumping in sand to expand the beach) can have mixed effects. When they did it in '96 (I think, may have been earlier or later) it messed up the fishing for several years. This latest dredging operation seems to have been handled better, and when they did it near CG the fishing was only off for a few weeks.

Evan

·
Registered
831 Posts
Looked Up Online It Coast Up To 100.000 Per Mile And Makes Water Dirty.
More like 2 million per mile here and the solids percipitate from the water in a couple of days. Some silts are redistributed in the following weeks by storms and or tides and currents. Most of the detriminal effects are short lived. It is not the demise of the sandflea, contrary to many uninformed opinions.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I talked to the guys on CG pier, I gathered that the nourishment (pumping in sand to expand the beach) can have mixed effects. When they did it in '96 (I think, may have been earlier or later) it messed up the fishing for several years. This latest dredging operation seems to have been handled better, and when they did it near CG the fishing was only off for a few weeks.

Evan
Many variables contribute to the up and down cycles of near coastal fishing. Your pier friends are probably not the best source for that type of call. I spent a few years on that pier myself. I still don't know what causes it all, but we had it all figured out then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts