Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI:
I just saw a post on Tidalfish.com about more trouble between beach fishermen and boaters at Lesner. Apparently the guy has called the police at least once after having his boat hit by a sinker and having obscenities shouted at him and his family. People over there on that board are suggesting that "no fishing" signs be posted.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya know, there is a lot of fishable water out there. One could also say that those boats anchored or drifting around the inlet are a hazard to navigation in that small area of the inlet.

If I were in charge, I would post No boating" signs within 100 yards of the channel entrance to Lynnhaven for boaters and also "No casting into the entrance channel" signs for shore fishermen in the area. Then stand by to fill the city cauffer with the fines.

It's pretty obvious "We all can't get along" so it is best to just get alone.

:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not only do I fish from a boat, but also from piers, and the beach - which makes incidents like this particularly disturbing....

It is not only on tidalfish that negative reports are being posted & made re beach fishermen yelling obscenities & throwing sinkers at boats. This is an extremely p$ss-poor example of sportmanship by these folks.

Incidents like this are being reported first hand to the city park staff and directly to the city via the city's hotline. This word is getting through to city hall and is getting around.

Because of the behavior of a few idiots throwing leads and yelling vulgarities I would not be surprised to see this area restricted and made a no fishing zone.

The channel where these incidents are taking place cannot be moved and something is going to give. The city spent major bucks on this project (city boat ramps at Crab Creek) to allow a few rowdy beach fishermen to interfere with it.

Example: Look at the boat ramp area at Owl's Creek next to the Marine Sciences Museum. That area is all off limits to beach fishermen.

I hate to see this area restricted because its such a good fishing hole - caught alot of nice stripers there .....

Lou

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well Heaver, the first thing you have to do is educate the onshore fishermen.

The area in, under and around the Lesner Bridge are "navigable waters." What this means is that no one is allowed to hamper or hinder or in anyway interfere with marine traffic navigating in or around the channel. That is the LAW.

Sorry guys, you may think you "own" that turf, but in reality your best bet is to pull those lines in, smile and wave to the boaters as they go by! It is a losing battle, at a tremendous cost. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I often fish the inside at Lesner and can reach the channel from the beach. The problem I have seen is not the boats navigating through the channel, rather its the boats fishing in the channel. I have seen the Va Beach police boat chase boats out of the channel for stopping and fishing, something they are no longer actively doing. If the Beach partol boat was there more it would be less of an issue.

BTW - I agree with taking the lines out of the water and waiting until they pass. No one should be intentionally throwing lead at or cursing boats in the river. It would nea terrible loss if we lose that fishing hole.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
we won't win this battle of the channel. if you see people throwing lead at boats let them know. just think if that was your boat. i know somebody would get bodily harm if they were tossing lead at my boat on purpose. hell you never know these days with all the crap going on. if they are fishing the channel and are not supposed call them into the patrol. that way we are covered. just my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
This will be a simple problem to solve. The knuckleheads tossing lead at boaters (a.k.a. navigation hazards) fishing in (a.k.a. blocking) the channel, will shut down the entire inlet if you keep it up.

The Virginia Pilots Association and the Maryland Pilots operate 4 pilot boats out of Lynnhaven Inlet. Two are in use at any given time. The boats are 50 feet long with orange hulls and gray houses with the word “PILOT” on each side.

Pilotage is compulsory for all foreign vessels and for U.S. vessels under register in the foreign trade.

In other words, most ships entering and leaving Chesapeake Bay require a pilot.

Maryland and Virginia pilots move billions and billions of dollars in commerce (revenue) for Virginia and Maryland. If they see recreational boaters and fisherman acting a fool and get the urge, a few phone calls from them will put Lynnhaven inlet off-limits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fish the shore and from boats so I am not bias either way. But last week when I had a 2 ounce bucktail miss my head by inches and hook onto my steering wheel, I became concerned. This is while i was transiting the channel. Someone is going to get seriously hurt. Whoever thinks that they are proving something by doing this could find themselves with attempted man slaughter charges, or even worse murder. A 4 ounce object to the temple will kill someone easliy. It is not worth it. Be careful and use some sense.
Daniel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not everyone at Tidalfish is saying there should be no fishing signs on shore. If your in a boat going through the channel inside Lynnhaven theres not a whole lot of places you can go besides staying in that channel because of the depth. Surf and Turf is right with inside Lesner being navigable waters specifically for the use of boaters. Its a great spot to fish and I fish there reguarly. I would hate to see something happen there and us shore guys lose out in the long run. But what do I know.

·
Registered
402 Posts
this is the post i have on tidalfish, same issue:
theres [email protected]$$es in every crowd, be it on the beach or the boat....how many times u had a boat cut to close to u? only thing u can do is try not to be that guy, be u on land or sea.

perhaps the channel should be widened?? :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
When fishing at Lesner if a boat comes along entering or leaving the inlet let them pass threw. Then resume fishing when they have exited the area. But when your waded out and boat pulls up 20 feet from you and anchors his boat that's what annoys me. If we all just give an take a little there should be no problems. If these conflicts continue the shore fisherman will be not allowed to fish down there. So i hope everyone can get along and fish the inlet together. :cool:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
With budget cuts and each city/state looking for ways to get extra bucks, looks like they have found a gold mine from fees taken in from the boat access ramp. Shoreline fishermen/women aren't steady contributors except for the occassional purchase that might be made at the welcome center, or whatever the main building there is called.
I am not in the least bit surprised at this issue getting added attention. It's off season sort of speaking and this is the time when a lot of decisions most likely would be made. Nothing more disappointing than preparing for the first trip out during the more productive months, mainly spring into late summer, and then have your jaw drop when coming upon a "no fishing allowed" sign.
We can vent all we want. Chances are those who would benefit from the points we make more than likely are not readers to this board. Or are they? All we can do is TCB where us and ours are concerned.
I got a bad feeling about this one. Just be careful all. Hopefully the shore seekers don't become the seeked. If you get my drift.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
How's this for a compromise: avoid fishing bait in the channel, particularly in the nav channel that leads up to the boat ramp, and no boater anchoring right up against the bridge?

If a boat is underway, they have the right of way. You stop casting and pull your lines in. It's not just the law, it's common courtesy. But anchoring up right on top of a bunch of guys on the shore isn't too wise either.

I don't really fish the ramp side of Lynnhaven anymore anyway. All the sand pumping ruined it. But I have a bad feeling eventually it'll be closed to shore fishing and that'll be the end of this discussion. :(

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Be careful guys/gals out there...sounds like you are on your way to losing a nice fishing spot. :(

We have a pier on the Cheasapeake Bay (Matapeake Pier) that borders an inletway that boaters use to enter the bay from the launch site. Many a time, fisherpersons will cast and try to prevent the boat from leaving/entering the area to the boat ramp. This results in cutoffs for the fisherpersons. Some people get mad and try to sling lead at the boaters, some fisherpersons let out all their line in an attempt to get the boats props all fouled up, it goes on and on.

I think fisherpersons need to realize that they can take away our rights in a heartbeat if they think that we are endangering people onboard the boats. Like some have said on this post - manslaughter or murder is not worth being a wise guy/gal. Of course it would make the papers, and fisherpersons would be critized for such a brutal attack on a defenseless boat.

Bite the bullet...be courteous. It won't kill you...or find another area to fish.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe that these situations should be dealt with on a case by case basis. Common sense and courtesy should be the rule, but unfortunately everyone dosen't have these qualities. Police/marine patrols should be notified to weed out and prosecute the few individuals who are causing problems, but as long as there are no signs the boaters are legally allowed to fish anywhere they want(even if they are rude enough to anchor near beach fishermen). But rudeness dosen't justify throwing sinkers at boats. It should not be about beach fishers against boaters, but about everyone with common sense against the few idiots who are causing problems.

The problem is that if police and marine patrol have continuing problems, they get tired of dealing with them on a case by case basis and then new restrictions will be instated. And guess who needlessly loses the right to fish there?

·
Registered
291 Posts
i have witnessed this happen many times. There are a bunch of oriental people who go down there. If a boat even gets the slightest bit in there way they yell hit the boat hit the boat! Usually a huge argument will take place. And ppl start slinging 2 ouncers at them. That is a big problem there. Another one is the fact the people thing they have the right of way with waders. I get there maybe 2 hrs b4 some ppl and they just walk right in front of me. I am probably the youngest there usually and the people still show absolutely no respect for me. There are some extremely nice people. But most just cut me off and take my spot. I refuse to fish that side anymore due to what usually happens. It is bad down there with this new boat dock. My mom wont like my brother go down there(7 yr old and has the striper fever bad) because of them.

P

·
0 Posts
As a pier & surf fisherman, I'm inclined to just yield to the boaters because Lesner bridge area is way too nice and convenient of a place to lose the privilege doing the thing I love.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The real sad part about this is the Boat Ramp which is bringing more traffic was paid for in part by the salt water license fund. I though it was a bad idea from the start. Also we lost the fishing venue once the ramp was being built.

·
Registered
291 Posts
wut i wuld suggest is to bring a video camera ready just incase that happens. Then if i does tape and get outta there. Go up to the little desk thing there call the cops and show them the tape. Should be i fine for them right there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Digger, keep in mind that the boaters launching those boats have paid a heck of a lot more than any shore fisher including his Saltwater Fishing License. As far as the ramp is concerned, it was supposed to be free. Talking to one of the persons working there one day, he said the reason for the charge is because the people over at D&M or whoever owns the ramps on Henry's side complained because they were losing business. So the City put a $3 charge on the ramp. The guy told me that when the lot gets full and people have to go over to the D&M ramp, the D&M people double their charge.

My real pont here is don't ever think that you, the shore fisher, are the only one paying. My boat costs me about $50-75 a year befor it hits the water and it never sees saltwater and is less than 18 ft. True not all of this goes into the fund, but the majority does and then there are the city taxes which help to build and maintain the ramps.

Best advice is for all to treat each other as you want to be treated and hope that it rubs off on the minority of a..holes who think they are the only ones on the beach or water!

(off soap box)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts