Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the first trip to the refuge on Sunday with the wife. The truck still had mulch in the bed so no cart which meant pack light. Started out poorly with the beach chair on my back breaking a strap and knocking the 10' - 2 piece rod out of my hand and landing on the black top which broke the tip in half so I headed to the beach with just a 7' combo that I planned on tossing lures with.

After a few casts and no love I put on a bottom rig and used up the frozen shrimp that I had picked up at the Sandbridge market for bait in addition to some Fleas that were everywhere. It took a while but I wound up with 2 small Sea Mullets that were returned to grow up.

An older (then me) couple just south of us were wearing out the Mullets. Probably caught around 20 each in the 3-4 hours we were there with around half going in the cooler for dinner but they were using real, live, fresh blood worms.

The wife took a walk and saw a couple of Puppy Drum caught further south down the beach on fresh shrimp but that was about it unless you count Skates which i saw a couple caught near us.

Nice onshore E/SE breeze at about 8-12 mph kept the bugs in the dunes and the fish on the beach so other than the bad luck with the rod and lack of catching it was a great day on the sand !!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Took the first trip to the refuge on Sunday with the wife. The truck still had mulch in the bed so no cart which meant pack light. Started out poorly with the beach chair on my back breaking a strap and knocking the 10' - 2 piece rod out of my hand and landing on the black top which broke the tip in half so I headed to the beach with just a 7' combo that I planned on tossing lures with.

After a few casts and no love I put on a bottom rig and used up the frozen shrimp that I had picked up at the Sandbridge market for bait in addition to some Fleas that were everywhere. It took a while but I wound up with 2 small Sea Mullets that were returned to grow up.

An older (then me) couple just south of us were wearing out the Mullets. Probably caught around 20 each in the 3-4 hours we were there with around half going in the cooler for dinner but they were using real, live, fresh blood worms.

The wife took a walk and saw a couple of Puppy Drum caught further south down the beach on fresh shrimp but that was about it unless you count Skates which i saw a couple caught near us.

Nice onshore E/SE breeze at about 8-12 mph kept the bugs in the dunes and the fish on the beach so other than the bad luck with the rod and lack of catching it was a great day on the sand !!
Great report and sorry about your rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts