Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting up with Triggerfish this morning at 7:30 AM to do some trolling today. The plan is to start north of the BB around the Dumping Grounds and troll an east/west ziz zag pattern south until we find them. Reports from the past week have been very poor but the few keepers that have been caught were taken in waters up to 60' deep. Going to be a long day but to boat one of the elusive 40" ocean run stripers will make it worth while. Will post results (good or bad) this evening.

Catman. :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Man wish I could join you but still stuck here at work. I hope you find em and mark em for next time;) Good luck out there! It is supposed to be a beautiful day. Be safe. Tightlines!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect Day For Fishing

As planned Trigger met me at the boat at 7:30 AM bearing a gift of at least 50#'s of in-line trolling sinkers in 6,8, and 10 oz. Don't need sinkers for a while and saved me at least $90.00. Thanks again Larry. We rigged our trolling gear. Trigger set up to troll deep and I rigged to troll shallow. We headed out of the creek on glass smooth water and headed across the bay to fuel up on the eastern shore since the marina around the corner from me was out of gas. Like the creek, the bay was glass smooth with no noticable wind. The water read 53.4*F. Looked like an absolute perfect day to fish. We started north of the BB at Sandy Point Lighthouse and trolled east through the Dumping Grounds. Right away two rods went down. We both grabbed a rod but mine had nothing. Trigger's rod was spolling line so I put the engine in reverse and slowly backed up. 10 minutes later Trigger had his catch under control and up to the boat - a G#$ D#& CRAB POT . Well we trolled the area for another hour or so without a hit. Must have been 15 boats in the area and they weren't doing anything either according to Ch. 68 on the VHF radio. We decided to head south past Kent Island. With the water being like glass we opened the throttle and let the boat fly. When we got to Thomas Point Light we found the fishing fleet, headboats, charters, and lots of private boats. These guys were catching the samething we were catching up north - nothing. We fished the area for a couple of hrs. then decided to troll back to the BB area. We got one knock down which turned out to be a tree branch. We saw one boat net a rock which they released. Back at the BB we decided to jig the pilings with the same results - nothing. Again nobody else was catching. Jason and Anthony called to get a report. They were on top of the bridge and we were under it. They were headed for AI. At about 3:00 PM we decided to run up the creek and try a sand bar that yeilded a 19" & 27" rock for Jason a few weeks earlier, NADA. We decided to call it a day and headed back to the dock. It was one of those days when the fish had lock jaw. We marked fish the whole day but it wasn't to be. We came back with a skunk but enjoyed a perfect day on the water. The slow fishing gave Trigger and me a chance to exchange stories and just kick back and relax. Thanks for the great day Trigger. We'll get um next time. BTW, as we were fishing the last spot Jason called again and said that Hat 80 called from SPSP and that he had just caught a 37" rock and asked if I would run over there and verify the catch, yea right Jason. I think Jason though that Hat was pulling his chain AGAIN. Hat, you wouldn't do that to Jason would you?

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hay catman you said that you were going to put your boat in storeage in three weeks,what if we take her out one more time before you do it,like the 13th of Dec. you can never tell they "might" be hungrey by then and take some bait with use!!How about it. Larry

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trigger, the 13th is out, I've contracted to have her hauled for winter storage on the 12th. Let me work on another date.

Catman.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts