Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing Breezy point today and the guy next to me pulled in around a 14" blue. About the only thing that saw bitting. A good siqn. I have never caught one before and I am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Wait until they get thick in the Summer. :) Then you can catch them on topwater plugs in the early AM. ;)

They are catching blues to 36" (over 10 lbs) in the Atlantic surf as we speak.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I had a couple last year almost pulled my rod in,make sure you use a peice of steel leader(12"long)in black with your hook and after two of them check your leader for nicks and tairs and change to a new leader.The blues we were catching were in the 14"to18" range.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Trigger,

I stopped using steel leader material years ago. You can use a short trace of mono leader material (18-24" of 50 lb mono) instead.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sandcrab I'll try your way this year but I'll still carry some steel leader material with me,I make my own on site.Hey Sandcrab I see you on this site almost every day at any given time are you retired yet,or you must be a very short timer and getten close. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
also you can use either short shank or wide gap hooks. both normally hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth like a cirlce hook.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When the birds are diving and the blues are eating you can use tinfoil and catchem if you like :) :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As oldsalt say you can cast anything to them if their in a frinzy,find a shinny new bare hook and you can catch them,I use 4" spoons(casting spoons),Rat-L-Trap,crippled herring(3oz.- 4oz.)Hopkins Tube Lures they knock the sh!t out of them. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Trigger,

I retire from the military in July and start my second career in August.

My "primo numero uno" lure for blues is a stingsilver tied to a 24" length of mono with a white clouser minnow (with flash-a-bou in it) tied as a teaser to the top swivel. I can catch two at a time on this rig. :) I cast and retrieve using long jerks. I also use topwater plugs such as Top Pups, Rebel Windcheaters, ZaraSpooks, and large (1-1/2 oz) rattletraps in blue/silver.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Man!.. there's nothing like blues on lures..my all time favorite is a zara spooky close the barbs..I hade a good time catching some nice blues on a 1/2 oz grub chartrues on light action rod and 6# test..there was some heavy blues of romancoke the second week of october busting my steel leader yes ..steel leader!..for now on when bottom fishing with cut bait i'm going with long shank hooks
:D

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you can find them try a topwater called "Slapstick" it seems to call them from the deep. I have had tremdous action with this lure. walking it as fast as you can seems to get me bigger fish. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts