Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into Corolla Bait & Tackle the first day I was in Corolla last week to get myself on the list for a tuna/dolphin makeup charter. They seemed nice enough (some guy named Jimmy was working the store-- the one at TimBuck II) and he seemed utterly clueless on hot spots, but that's life as it appears there were none, lol.

Anyway, I was told that there was no problem with getting on a tuna charter for Weds, Thurs, or Fri. Well, Tuesday comes and I haven't heard from them so I called and found out they had 4 for Weds, but they boat wouldn't go without 6. Ok, fair enough. I don't hear fromt hem at all on Weds so I call around 6pm, they say they only have me for Thursday. Ok... They don't call Thursday so I call and nope, no chance. Atthis point I'm thinking, "Well this sucks, but makeups are always iffy".

Then the problem started, lol.

I went to Bob's Bait & Tackle on Friday morning on my way to Kitty Hawk Pier and got to chatting with the guy at the store while I picked up a rod-- spectacular deal, a 13' Shore Master rod with a Jarvis Walker reel for less that $40, as opposed to the ludicrously overpriced CB&T. We hit on the Charter thing and he told me that they had an offshore makeup out everyday that week and that booking through Corolla was always screwed up because the owner of CB&T owns a partial interest in two offshore boats-- if those don't book, he won't look for any other boat for someone on his makeup list. It also turns out that Ray, who owns CB&T, is a former employee of Bob's and they know him well.

Well, obviously now I'm pissed off at having CB&T basically screw me out of a day of offshore fishing. I was picking up something for my wife at the store next to CB&T later in the day Friday so I stopped in to let them know that I was not goign to be returning to CB&T on subsequent trips down (and we're in the process of buying something down there) and that I'd let others know that, too.

Well, Saturday morning the phone rings and it's Ray, owner of CB&T. He's appalled that anyone would say anything bad about him. He makes a huge show of sayign that it's all a lie-- he doesn't own *any* boats and doesn't have any interest in *any* boats. Everyone at Bob's hates him because he opened his own shop, blah blah blah. Well, the converation goes on (and on, and on, with Ray doing all the talking, lol) and five minuteslater he starts talking about the two boats he has an interest in. I stopped him, said "Whoa, I thought you didn't own any boats", and he stammers and starts talking about how he only owns inshore boats and how much all the Captains love him, etc.

Basically, I don't know who is lying in this scenario, but CB&T was caught in at leastsome kind of a lie over the boat ownership thing. The bottom line to me is that the shop in Duck is a much better place to shop as their staff has a clue and their prices are phenomenal. I'd even recommend the smaller TW Bait Shop across the street from CB&T-- as an example, I bought a Kastmaster 3oz for $3.25 at TW and saw the same one for $5.75 at CB&T.

Either way, I did not expect to wind up in some bitter little fight between bait shops on my vacation, lol.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Sounds like an unfortunate series of events. I find it hard to believe there were no makeup trips available for that many days. Have yet to have that problem, but then again, I'm a Hatteras kind of guy :D

This is just as good here, as a fishing report. Opens people’s eyes, to at least consider, checking out both shops and making an evaluation on prices and service. Sometimes the owners of these shops forget that it’s "Us" that make or break a shop.

Thanks for the heads up........ :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a bummer. I had good dealings with corolla. Things must have changed since my last trip down there. I'll be down in August, guess I'll have to see what's up.

Sorry you didn't get any beach action. I was doing good on spot and pups.

Wish I could afford to move down there. That's all my wife talks about after our week down there. All I can say is not on Navy pay!

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
We stayed in Duck a few weeks ago, and I thought the guys at Bob's were genuinely nice fellows. We (well, my father-in law) caught a lot of mullet, a small spot, a puffer and a skate. All fish were caught on the incoming tide, usually 1 hour before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rugger next time try Oregon Inlet fishing center for a makeup charter.A little drive but I would think it is worth it.There are lots of great charters there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts