Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though(to me anyway) the Striped bass being caught numbers are down in looking at reports at least up here there are alot of 40,50 and 60 pound fish being caught maybe this is the year the 78 pound 8 ounce all tackle record is broken. any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
There is a good chance it can happen this year with all this cold water going on around here. It is keeping all the stripers around. Take a look at Sandfleas post.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Cold water is good - I vote for MA

MA seems to take a lot of large stripers. I bet it comes from there. ;) Although Atlantic City is special too!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RI and Montauk seem to be battling each other on who has the largest Striper, every week there seems to be a 50#er caught in Montauk and there has been 3 confirmed 60#ers caught in RI. Has NJ had any big Striper catches this year?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of them by surf

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cdog take a look at the big Striper thread on the NY/CT board that fish is 60# and was caught in the surf and almost all the the 50#ers were caught in the surf

·
Registered
830 Posts
Cdog, we have to go north and try it out. My daughter lives up that way and her husbands parents live on the water in CT

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey Kenmefish, if I remember right your are retired. Give me two weeks notice an I am ready to travel. I wanta catch a big one, but ya never know one of them hogs might come our way. :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Remember, these big cows are migratory, and will be returning to their wintering grounds near the estuaries that lead to their spawning grounds. They very well could be Chessie fish, but I have a feeling they're from the Hudson stock, and unless you're willing to travel north, you won't be within a hundred miles of them. Need incentive? A 65 lb cow with 15 pounds of roe = 80 lbs total. I say P&S should invade the HUDSON next Spring!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want everyone to think that there is alot of bass being caught up here the number f fish being caught are down from last year, but there are alot of Cows being caught so I just want to make sure I not misleading anyone by thinking there are blitzes going on up here, but if you do decide to make a road trip up here please let me know.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Manayunk Jake over the last 3 years(not counting this one) I have heard of C&R fish in the Chessie that probably would have shattered the record. And the largest recorded came out of Edenton NC with several weighed in at 125lbs. So they could be Hudson stock or southern stock who knows.
Now one reason to fish the Hudson is they are allowed to take spawners on the way in.:mad:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have seen quite a few blitzes around the Oregon inlet area in the last few years, but no fish of that size. The biggest one I got was 35# and that was from a boat. The biggest from shore was 26#. A lot of fight, I can hardly imagine a plus 60# cow. My goal now is 40#, but I will take whatever I can catch.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Digger!

I'm not saying that the Chesapeake can't produce a new world record. About five years ago a ninety pound rock was netted in the Bay. The DNR made a mount of the fish and its a regular attraction at the MD booth at the Ft Washingtin (PA) Outdoor Show.

The problem with C&R fish is that the weights are usually guesstimates, and usually far from accurate. Accurate hand scales that go up to 100 lbs are very expensive. Even with a good scale, its hard to get an accurate weight on a bouncing boat. Most high end scales use a tripod that must be "leveled" before the fish is put on in a "weigh sling" (hanging a big struggling fish from the jaw or gill plate is a no-no in true C&R fishing!)

For those really looking for a record, the IFGA will certify your scale before and after the catch. You'll need dozens of photos and a boatload of witnesses to fend off the resulting cries of fraud. But depending on where you catch the fish, you may run afoul of state regulations. Some of the laws call for the "immediate" release of fish caught out of season and/or in "no kill" zones. If the catch is determined to be illegal, you lose the record and land a big fine. And if that big fish subsequently dies, things can get downright ugly.

With all that said, its clear to see why catching a prespawn supercow in waters where its legal to keep the fish is important. Otherwise, we can just hope that some of those sixty-plus fish still have a few years left, and will reach that magic weight!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think it will come within 3 years and be from obx. I have red past articles about fish to 125 lbs netted there. ITs definantly possible to catch big ones there. My friend caught a 61 lber there and got some ifga record for hsi age.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fishnkid if your friend has a picture of that record fish please share it with us.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was a 69.15# Striper caught in Montauk this pass weekend I think the record is going to fall very so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts