Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been brought up before but seein as our poor lil Va board hasnt been doin much talkin figured id open up a can'o' worms. So whats your thoughts on the Bass pro shops in Hampton? Ive been there once or twice and i really didnt like it much.They didnt seem to have enough saltwater stuff or freshwater for that matter seems like when i went all it was were a bunch of teenegers that had probally never gone fishin and they were just walkin around??? So lets here your opinion bout the Va BPS?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I found everything I went in for. In and out in about 10 minutes.
Nice rain gear selection.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
First time I went in I was dissapointed with th saltwater selection an mainly th sales people. Been back a coulpe times an I guess they have familiarized themselves with their stock cuz I haven't got that blank stare since th first visit.

Also they have a list you can put down items that you would like to see stocked an they stock it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been there twice
I got my OM 12' heavers from there and my SLOSH30.
I do agree on the amount of salt water stuff. They did not even have a clue what a "fishFinder" rig was and dont carry them
I also asked them for sinker sliders....and got that blank look like "huh"....what's dat

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I can only speak about the one in Arundel Mills, MD but their saltwater selection of reels are average at best. Their selection of saltwater tackle is great. They also carry fishfinder rigs there but I just use a snap swivel instead. I used to use an all metal fishfinder rig but found that it cut into the line when casting and have heard that the plastic ones can come off with a hard cast.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I live about a mile from the Hampton store and I stop in regularly just to browse. They have gotten better on saltwater since they opened, but they still lack somewhat. For boaters they still have no wireline stuff. If I need something quick I go to Boaters World instead because their staff always has been quite knowledgeable on fishing and boating questions. Bass Pro cant compete with the local shops on knowledge, but they have a much better selection of rainwear and other gear. I was told that their camping section would be expanded before Christmas but that has yet to happen. They don't stock a lot of hiking stuff b/c they won't have room until the expansion is done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We use metal snap swivel, along with 3' 80# leader, beads on both ends of fish finder rig. Had LOTS of problems blowing plastic fish finder rigs offfffffffffff. Lost NUMEROUS sinkers. MMM:( 2 swivels work just fine, besure to use beads on both sides of slider.:cool:

Fish on...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I lived near a Bass Pro in Atlanta and went there often, but I don't quite understand why they built one in Hampton instead of Richmond. They have a great bass tackle selection but not a lot of the store is dedicated to saltwater stuff. There is a lot more bass fishing going on up here than there is in Hampton. There are many bait and tackle shops I would rather go to for saltwater stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW i knew they didnt have a clue about what they were selling but not knowing what a fish finder or a sinker slide was????:jawdrop: they just shouldnt be working there. I guess if you live near there its alright but seein as i live 15 minutes from greentop i go there like twice a week. and if they aint got what your lookin for they will order it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like the store, you just have to know you are not going to get any expert advice from the staff. Its basically WalMart with more sporting goods.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bass pro

the bass pro shops was ok but i do agree with you on how there is not enough fishing stuff. There is way to many clothes. Thats good and all but still.
ooo. Not all teenagers dont know what they are doing. I have been doing this since i was three years old.I consider my self very noligble of this sport.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The Hampton BPS is much smaller than other stores.
Just outside of Baltimore they have one that is huge.
The shoe selection there is easily 4 times greater.

I agree that the people working there were in the
beginning clueless. One guy in the reel department
was just rude. But overall I think things are getting
better.

Still you can't beat the Wal-Mart clearance that takes
place anunally.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well...BPS , Greentop, Boater's world etal..got anudder competitor..a friend in real estate is certain that Cabelas is gittin ready to announce a mega -store in richmond, right off 64/95..

dat gonna make thangs interesting ;)

Custer

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
not knowing what a fish finder or a sinker slide was???? they just shouldnt be working there.
For the seasonal fisherman (not seasoned), 9 out of 10 rigs thrown into the waters are Hi/Lo pre-tied rigs with pre-snelled hooks. Sinker slides are very specific to the saltwater beach and pier fisherman. If they used that criteria in hiring, I doubt they'd have many folks working in the fishing department. Also, how many times have you started a job and knew EVERYTHING. If you are looking for expert advice, continue to support your local tackle shops.
So give the folks a break, there are some folks in there that are very knowledgeable of the sport and others that are just getting into it. If I were a teenager again, that'd be a great place to work. Sure beat flippin' burgers at the golden arches when I grew up.
Ok, off my box.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I guess my expectations had the best of me as I wasn't too impressed on my first visit to BPS. Actually its taken several visits to finally grasp the variety and scope of everything thats offered.If ya know what you are looking for before you go ,you are in good shape.If ya want expert knowlege ya might be and prolly will be disappointed(depending on the salesperson). Folks,thats why ya come here to P&S, DD's,SOL etc.....Tons of experiance and" trials and tribulations"...Learn it here,buy it there,use it and then come back and tell us about it.....I like BPS cause its gonna have what I'm lookin for and a good variety of options...........Oh ,and dont forget to continue to support our local people.They are you and me who have made their passion their business.......the R

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I have 2 friends that work there.They both love the outdoors and avid hunters.They still had to go to 4 weeks of training in there respective departments.Unfortunately they wound up in the camping department....?But that goes to show you,These mega stores don't stock there departments with sales asssociates that are experienced,ie....a local tackle shop.

So if you want fishing advice a local tackle shop may be your bets bet.But if your looking to buy Brand name apperal and off the shelf equipment a BPS,Wally Mart,K-Mart is a great place to go,but don't expect the kind of knowledgable service you would from a local tackle store,that the guy selling you the tackle actually knows how to use it.

My .02 cents

OBTW,I have gone to the new BPS in Hampton.I like it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I wonder why they didn't build it in Va Beach or Chesapeake. You'd figure with anglers running down to OBX in the summer, it would make sense to put it out there on the way to 168. I think the city of Hampton gave BPS a break on fees and they needed some businesses to open up at the new shopping center. Normally I just order from the catalog they put out. I wouldn't purchase the catalog at the store because you can get one for free off of the website. They have a couple of specialized catalogs too for saltwater or hunting. I tend to purchase stuff in the off season so I don't worry the week's wait to receive the stuff in mail. It's a different story in the summer when you want something right away when it's hot.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
ive been there twice now it has a lot of what you local shop has even bait, but are you going to stop by to by bait in the way to the fishing ground especially from the south side. they have plenty of good quality reels and rods and enough tackle to fill you tackle box needs. this is not the place i would stop a when it is time to fish unless you are goin to fish the lake next to the building.

support your local tackle shops.

Rick

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ehh. took them 20 min. to spool a reel that I brought in. Kinda like most big stores, lot of stuff not a lot of knowledge. Now that they no longer have the military discount I won't go there for my fishing stuff anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts