Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught the bottom end of a news cast yesterday discussing the Bass Pro shop in Hampton. Is it open yet? and if it is has anyone been there to check out any specials?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
They had a "soft" opening last night. Tonight os th Grand Opening. I heard there was 5000 people there last night, traffic snarled crazy stuff. Think I'm gona give it a few weeks before I go an bankrupt myself. :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was going to stop in last night, but there where just to many people there. In a few days i will try agian but way to many people there today even when i drove by.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey 1mo,

Man I went by there last night and never stopped the car. Pure lunacy. Be scared, be very scared, run away, runaway.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i went from 11am to 2pm... man its a mad house!!..i'm very impressed ...its like a fisherman/hunters adult disneyland lol...i dropped $50 and walked out with a tiny bag ..

the aquarium is very cool... some big crappie and bass and striper and cats in there...some bass professional was demoing plastic worms and giving tips......

dont bring your wallet if you dont want to spend some $$ lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW

I guess I'll wait until the panic slows down and try an catch em' next week

And I'll leave my wallet at home----better yet I'll let the ol' lady hold it. I'll be lucky to walk out with a bottom rig....lol

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
True Story

1mo, th last time I went to th BPS in NC I locked my wallet in th Glove box of th truck before I went in! :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Made a visit out there yersterday afternoon and the place was mobed with people. They had just about everything from soup to nuts but EXPENSIVE to say the least.

I tested some compound bows out in their indoor archery lane and that was kinda kool. They also had a vast array of wepons on display with hefty price tags as well. Im glad I got it out of my system because you could drop a lot of cash in that place without ever realizing it until you actualy check out.

My opinion is stay with your local sporting goods stores because the prices are more condusive to ones weekly budget. Bass Pro Shop is way over priced for my taste. I like Sports Authority, Wally World and Kmart much better but without the glitter of the Bass Pro Shop.

Tight Lines Everyone, it wont be long now!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Wuzzamatter with you guys...aintcha got any self-control?????the R:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that some things are priced a little higher, but for the most part,I'll drive the 32 miles each way just for the experience. Oh, the lead heads that are 6.00 for 5 around town, are only $2.59 there.And they will have everything you could imagine.just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
basspro

I have to put my 2 cents in here.. i was like an 8 yr old at busch gardens getting there my girlfriend drove and i was bouncing in my seat like a 5 yr old who had to pee .. waiting for a parking spot.. I have to say i was impressed..although alot of things were high priced i was glad to see they have generic versions of lures reasonable if not cheaper then some of my other tackle haunts.. some things like i was looking for stretch 25's pricing and found something similar that was half the price. but the info on lure action wasnt there it was same length but lip looked thinner.. ill give some a try one of these days.. the rod and reel selection was out of this world.Im a man on a cheap budget but i shall support my bass pro shops i love that there here in hampton.Ill be doing some holliday shopping there for my fishin buddies as well as myself.
The color selection and variety of lures is untouchable by any of these other places around here its a have to see place!.. And its family friendly. there are games and toys for kids knick knacks for the wives and lots of toys for the big boys.. and dont forget to look up.. there is an awsome ocean life display above.. And if your the hunting type or outdoors person you got to see what else is there..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Went in threre last night while things were dying down. Not too shabby, but same complaint as with most Bass Pros, just not enough salt water stuff. Prices are all right around manufacturer suggested, so you can probably get a better deal if you shop around.

I just can't get over the fuss... and it's sure made getting home a lot more complicated- since I live less than 2 miles from there.

Anyways,

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
885 Posts
I went to the Bass Pro this morning [Fri.] about 10 minutes after 9:00AM. Had no problem parking or with crowds. I managed to tour much of the store [and spent a few bucks] and I was impressed. It was getting crowded when I left at 11AM.

Little background here **** I have visited the Cabelas store in Minn. and L.L. Bean in Maine. I worked, part time, for Wal-Mart here in tidewater in the sporting goods section. My specialty was the fishing & Boating section.
Both LLB & Cabelas surpass the Hampton BPS in size and quantity of merchandise. LLB's prices were somewhat higher than BPS or Cabelas and their fishing selection wasn't as good and was more directed at the Maine fishing methods. Price comparisons between Wal*Mart and The BPS store [where they can be compaired] were fairly equal. Obviously BPS had much greater selection in the sports lines and their merchandise is more in the 'high end' area. Wal*Mart could not compete in this because of alloted space.
Another piece of information --- I talked with one of the managers and found that this is only the beginning of the whole store. You will notice, when facing the front of the store, that there is construction on the left side by the lake. That is going to ge an expansion on the store as it is now.
Overall, I'm sure this store will provide a place for sportsmen and women to find items that would not be available in this area otherwise [I know I did]. So far as the Salt Water fishing equipment, I'm sure we will see more and more as time go's by. These folks ain't stupid and they do track sales by area. Just my 2c worth

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I still firmly believe in giving your business to the little guy, the small shops where people know you by your first name, not by some 10 digit account number.

I've been to the Bass Pro here, and as spectacular as it is, I still like prefer the little store I work in. It's not just because it's where I work, but I like the first name basis situation.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
emanuel said:
I still firmly believe in giving your business to the little guy, the small shops where people know you by your first name, not by some 10 digit account number.

I've been to the Bass Pro here, and as spectacular as it is, I still like prefer the little store I work in. It's not just because it's where I work, but I like the first name basis situation.
emanuel, I agree 100 percent. That being said yes I will go an buy a OM rod. Can't get em anywhere else. But as far as my day to day shopping I'll still be attending th shop where everyone knows my name. :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I looked at the OM rod and I didn't like the feel of it as much as I do my Tsunami 12" XH surf stick. I always feel dirty for shopping at the major stores, especially Walmart.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I want a stick I can throw 10+ with an that seems to be th OM. Besides I got a slosh 30 that needs to sit on something. Hear ya bout Wally world. Opened one up down th road from here an haven't been in it yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts