Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anthony and I went there today and we got there around quarter till 6. We didn't end up leaving there till quarter till 10! It was an absolute mess. We picked up some OM rods that were on sale. I got three(one for Hat) and Anthony got one. I also picked up two more reels(Penn 8500ss) and Anthony got a Daiwa Emblem-X. We also got a bunch more hooks and terminal tackle to get us through the spring(at least) After I got turned down for the BPS credit card.(I have excellent credit but too much out there) We figured we would still get the 15% discount for the military. Well after it was all rung up the total was $965 :jawdrop: I was like What! and Anthony was like Hell No! Turns out we didn't get the discount on a lot of items. The manager said we could not get the discount on the poles because they were already discounted(which we think is bs and are going to talk to the company about) So I had to drop 2 of the poles(sorry Hat if you still want one it will cost 79.99, I wasn't sure if you still wanted it so I gave it back, the sale is till the end of the month so I can go back and get one for you if you want) and one of the reels along with some of the terminal tackle we deemed not necessary for now. After all that I still spent $360 by myself. Unbelieveable, that place is heaven until you have to pay the bill! I will let Anthony tell you how much he spent. I am broke does anyone want to start a fund for me so I can pay my bills?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That sucks!

I've done the same many of times I had to return a 12'HVY Act Tica Spinning rod just so I can pay my bills.The spinning rod costs 120 dollars.I've spent up to $529.00 at Bass Pro in a matter of 2 hours:jawdrop: .Only get what you think you will use and don't mess with buying stuff just because you think you'll need it later.With the buget I have I have to make $80 last 2 weeks;good thing I'm single:cool: .

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Just a little hint when buying from BPS. Don't go in person, buy on line. That way you don't get sucked into buying what you really don't need and check-out is breeze. That store is just to damn tempting.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This is not the first horror story I heard about BPS I guess when your that big customer service is not an issue and when most of your business on online you cater to them more the a live person which is a very sad state.:mad:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeah I dropped about 260. When we saw that bill our jaws just dropped. What happened was the cashier entered the discount as an employee discount and they only get a discount on certain brands. Since Jason is military, we should have gotten a discount on everything. I still feel that we should have still gotten a discount on the rods and will talk to the BP corporation about that. At least I am set for about 2 years for tackle.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Axon I told her I bought you some stuff and that you were going to pay me back. She said your balls aren't brass enough!:eek: Yeah I am still kind of mad about the whole thing still this morning.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
IMHO Bass Pro Shops are BS!

To begin with they tend to lean to freshwater gear and their prices are off the hook. Their stores are a trap for the fisherman who go's in to get a spool of line and they know it.

If you want good prices and good service? Find a local tackle shop that carries the things that you need. Spend all your money there, get to know the owner and employe's. It will save you money in time and you'll always get good service.

I've used Tylers tackle shop for years. The people there know me and we take care of each other. As do most of you, I fish at night allot when the shops are closed. If I need something after hours all I have to do is call them, tell them what it is I need and they'll put it out in a place I can pick it up. I'll pay them the next time I come in the shop and they know it, I'm a regular customer.

After these shop owners get to know you you'll get a++++ treatment. Most of the items I get from them are at cost. If they don't have it they will get it in a timely manner and the service will run well past the time when the warranty runs out.

This fishing stuff costs us all good money and I for one don't need some @sshole at BPS taking my money and treating me like crap. I got news for those guys, Their not the only restaurant in town!...Tightlines

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am starting to feel the same way. We are definitely going to make an example out of this mess. They better hook us up or they won't be getting my business anymore.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have visited bass pro shops in Chicago, Tenn, ga , md, and Alabama and have yet to see two with prices even close to advertised. My best deals were the one in the Chicago area. I bought equip that was intended for lake michigan and it works great for the bay.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I feel that for terminal tackle, BPS is the place to go to. For rods, reels, and advice, a bait shop close to the bay is the place to go. It does seem that BPS is geared towards fresh water fishing but does have an extensive salt water selection. Just my two cents.
-Anthony

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have had good and bad experiences. It seems the young people for the most don't care as much, just a better place to get paid than being a fry jockey. I was there on Saturday and had a lot of help from a guy about leader wire, seemed knowledgable and wasn't trying to get me to buy the most expensive wire and all the accessories.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Penn 850 SS

What are you going to use that monster of a reel for? Will the Ocean Master rod support the weight of that reel? Tight Lines To All! Murphman:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you want good deals on rods;go to Delewarebait/tackle stores.I buy some reels from Bass Pro and other tackle from them and other sporting good stores Dicks,Sports Athority.But, I like Deleware Bait shops the best good deals and tax free shopping.But don't go to Bills Sport Shop;hes an A$$^%#e.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Murph,
I have a 8500ss and it is a perfect match with my OM 12' and my solaris 12'. Easy and strong enough to reel in those big fish and a great balance with the OM heavier.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
8500SS

What do they sell for? What pound test are they rated for? I like Henlopen Bait and Tackle on the way to lewes or Eastern Marine in Newark, DE..Shooters Supply in New Castle..or the forgotten Capt. Bones in Odessa. Tight Lines To All!:) Murphman

·
Registered
597 Posts
They are pretty expensive, I think, when it comes to reels, around $125, but what I do like about them is they are completely sealed and it is all made of metal instead of plastic as in most of the lighter reels. A little heavy but it is a nice reel. I think they are rated up to 20 or 30 pound test but I have mine spooled with 65# power pro and it is great.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup like reddog said they do look good with the 12' OM. They are a little heavy but it holds 20lb 325 yds and 25lb 250yds. Hey reddog how does that setup cast? I was wondering if you lose a little because it is such a deep spool and the further you cast the more resistance it meets on the spool lip?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts