Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys typically do after a day (or a few days) of surf fishing to clean the salt, sand, sweat, fish/bait slime, etc. off of your rods and reels? I'm just curious to learn what other folks do, and see if I am doing enough or maybe too much (overkill). And I'm just talking about the basics, not a full breakdown of the reel or the detailed cleaning that you might do after the season is over. I usually just rinse my rods and reels with fresh water, then wipe them down with a rag using warm soapy water (liquid dish washing soap such as Dawn), then rinse again to remove any excess soap. Let dry, or dry with a towel. Then a light coat of WD-40 on the reel, rod guides and other metal parts...applied with a cloth or Q-tip rather than sprayed directly. Is this adequate? And something I've often wondered about...does WD-40 (or other oils) have any adverse effects on monofilament line, or can fish smell it? Obviously I don't apply the oil directly to the line, but it may come into some minimal contact with it as I am cleaning the reel or as it passes through the guides.

Also, any tips on cleaning coolers that have contained bait/fish...I usually just try to clean these using soapy water (Dawn) and then some baking soda since I don't want to use any strong smelling chemicals on a cooler for bait.

Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Do not use household soaps and detergents on your reels it has bleach in it and would destroy your braid and other line. Will cause it to prematurly go bad and dry out.if you want to use a soap use something you would use for a boat marine upholstery you also do not want to use WD 40 on a reel it is a degreaser. WD 40 will also ruined plastics and rubbers. Any oil or grease applied after wd40 does nothing for you ..only use dulluted bleach on coolers not the reel it self ,might br ok on the rod.

.before you wash or rinse your combo . tighten the drag all the way down so no water gets into it , then back off the drag when not in use, only rinse downward on top of the spool and not up into the spool from the underside .

For coolers dulleted bleach and keep the lid open ,or put news pappers in it to absord the moisture.

Keep it simple

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not use household soaps and detergents it has bleach in it and would destroy your braid and other line. Will cause it to prematurly go bad and dry out.if you want to use a soap use something you would use for a boat marine upholstery you also do not want to use WD 40 on a reel it is a degreaser. WD 40 will also ruined plastics and rubbers. Any oil or grease applied after wd40 does nothing for you ..only use dulluted bleach on coolers not the reel it self ,might br ok on the rod.

.before you wash or rinse your combo . tighten the drag all the way down so no water gets into it , then back off the drag when not in use, only rinse downward on top of the spool and not up into the spool from the underside .

Keep it simple
So if it's not good to use soap/WD-40...is there some other type/brand of oil that I should use for cleaning and corrosion protection...or do you just rinse with fresh water and that's it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Unless your rig takes a dunk in the water, a good spray of fresh water to the areas that come in contact with wet line should suffice. If it takes a salt bath, you are either tearing it down or waiting for it to lock up and toss anyway. I use Reel Butter on my spinners when I tear them down and it has brought even the worst locked up reel back to life.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rod's and reels just get a good rinse after each use. Reels i oil berrings , line rollers, once a month. End of season , i wax all my rods, check guides. reels , i clean good, grease, oil and also remove all the line, I don't use braid. and give them a light coat of wax. I basicly get all my tackle ready for the next season. Also beats off cabin feaver.:fishing:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I spray my reels with fresh water at the end of the day. When I get home I spray my rod & reels with Salt Away and wash them with hot water . After they air dry I use 3 in 1 oil on them or I spray them with Penn Reel Oil. After the season I break them all down for a good cleaning and new grease. On my coolers I use a bleach and water, just fill the cooler, up pour in 3 to 4 ounces of bleach , stir the mix, and let set for a few hours. Then use rag and clean the outside and the lid.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I use a product called Salt X to remove salt spray, or if my gear gets dunked. It's not cheap, a gallon of concentrate is about $32 plus shipping, but it makes 8 gallons of rinse, which goes a long, long way if you're only cleaning fishing tackle. It won't hurt your gear & it's non toxic. You spray on the mix ( 2 oz per gallon of freshwater) and rinse, that's it. However, I do wipe down my reels to dry them off.

·
Banned
2,920 Posts
Yes, bring one of those along, too . . .

PSALM 107: 23-31

23 Those who go down to the sea in ships,
Who do business on great waters;

24 They have seen the works of the LORD,
And His wonders in the deep.

25 For He spoke and raised up a stormy wind,
Which lifted up the waves of the sea.

26 They rose up to the heavens, they went down to the depths;
Their soul melted away in their misery.

27 They reeled and staggered like a drunken man,
And were at their wits’ end.

28 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
And He brought them out of their distresses.

29 He caused the storm to be still,
So that the waves of the sea were hushed.

30 Then they were glad because they were quiet,
So He guided them to their desired haven.

31 Let them give thanks to the LORD for His lovingkindness,
And for His wonders to the sons of men!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Next trip to the coast go to the nearest dock used by everyday charters and watch what they do to all their gear after(hopefully) unloading the catch.

I never, ever, use WD40 on any of my fishing equipment and never, ever spray my reels. As someone previously mentioned, spraying drives sand and dirt into the reel. A steady stream is what you want, like out of a hose without a nozzle. A hard spray can also cause sand to chip your guides.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also, if you choose to use dish soap, use one without the grease cleaning properties. There is grease in your reels and this soap may dissolve it........I just use regular ole water out of the hose and seems to work fine, but like others have said, don't force the water in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I finally tore my reels down and cleaned them. WHEEEW! The abu 5600 c4 was easy. That Shimano baitrunner was a royal pain in the rear. For the spinner, I ended up using reel kleen and sprayed al the internals after I took them out and used it on the inside of body as well. I dunked it by accident while I was in Florida, it was green inside on a few shafts from the salt. I then used the Hot Sauce grease and oil to lube it up. Did I mention that the spinner was a PAIN? Now that I've done it , the next time probably will not be nearly as bad. The conventional was easy. I just used a rag and water and wiped everything out and greased it and oiled it. It wasn't sandy or salty at all inside since I had only fished it about 5 days. I then used some new finish car wax and waxed the rods. Boy are they shiny. I guess the rest of the winter I will tie rigs, or at least try to tie them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use Ajax or Comet on my coolers...whichever I can get cheap. If they are really bad I don't rinse it off...just scrub it good, then let it set for an hour...they spray it off.

I'm pretty neglegent when it comes to equipment care...especially my rods and reels. I sometimes don't have access to fresh water to clean them off, but when I do I just run water over them and let them air dry. Ones that take a dunk I try to wash them real good as soon as I get back home. I only service my reels when I feel some degredation in their performance. I have a few that are water tight and I've never opened them. Once a year I try to take them apart for a cleaning. If they are real bad I send them out for service. I have to start getting better about it though...reel service is starting to cost quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.