Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having graduated the DE clinic bottom of my class of 30+ members, much thought has gone into what was taught, seen and possibly learned from my attendance. The novelty of casting a baseball quickly revealed an educational tool inwhich to assess the progress of a "true to form" casting technique. Less time winding line and digging out weights allow for more time to improve on muscle-memory exercises.

Tried the OTG first with some success out to 300-350 feet with better form. Moving up to the modified OTG as taught by Neil and trying to keep the form and hitting same field measured limits which is progress in my line of thinking....keeping the form together while swinging the weight (baseball) through out the arc of the cast.

Met with some fellow casters at the park today for some casting and it appears that this style cast will definitely out perform my typical Hatteras-style form and confirmed by my casting partners using the Hatteras cast. No matter how hard they pushed the envelope of the cast, it would not push much farther than 300-320 feet. But with less apparent effort, my style would move out more and more with a well-executed cast. Bearing in mind that this is a work-in-progress yet still outperforming what has already been learned.

With continued viewing of Neil's casting video, you see more and more what is going on ( and what is NOT going on ) and can take that script to the field and try to follow form. Most times, with less "thinking" about the cast and just "flowing" with the cast the progress was made. When I can personally see 400 foot casts with the baseball I will know that I have seen the gains I was looking for from the casting clinic......and, yes, I'm very optimistic that 400' is not that many practices away. For those who haven't tried using a baseball, tip #1 is tighten down the reel! Must be tighter than normal since the ball does have a tendency to "catch air" as it floats away.....very quick reels will fuzz up quickly. So even with the reel tighten down beyond normal fishing limits, that ball is coming close to my goals. Can't wait to try an 8oz. sinker and see where we're at in true fishing terms.

James and the crew, with more work I'll try to join you guy's at the DC practices and I'm sure you'll find some more error's that will lead to more distance once corrected! Take care, John VA-Apraisr.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great success story John.
If you don't mind me asking ,what is a baseball?Where can they be purchased?

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
740 Posts
He's right, he can sling it! I walked down and saw him throwin a baseball and was like WTF, but it does help! Me not really needing a cast like his, was just tryin to get my mechanics down on my modified hatteras cast, and by the end was doin pretty good(even came within a few feet oh John on a couple casts ;0))

Just need to get my footwork solid and focus on pushing with the right hand and keepin that left arm straight....sounds easy enough, Im goin to the field tomorrow!!!!

Thanks John, had a blast! Now we just need to go mug the drum this fall to complete the practice!

Adam

·
Registered
740 Posts
A Baseball is a baseball....you know...a baseball. Kind you play catch with.

Drill a hole through it, run a piece of 100# through it, tie it to a big treble hook, hammer it into the ball, attach a swivel to the end of the leader, and go cast it.

Its pretty cool.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go figure

Wow ! 400 yards with a baseball would be truly amazing .
what's the theory does the baseball simulate the expected weight and drag that would be created by an 8-n- bait rig ?It would seem to be alot safer to use baseballs while practicing as opposed to throwing 8 oz lead bullets! :D

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow!

John,
You are really on your way. Keep practicing the form. The distance will come on its own. The more you relax, the better the cast will feel and perform for you. Tight muscles move slowly. If you plan to cast over 5oz, remember to keep the sinker moving to the outside. It becomes lighter as it accelerates around the tip before the release. If you hit the sinker while it is behind you, it will feel like 50 pounds.

Bull City,
A baseball is 5oz. A 5 or 6 ounce grip sinker is much easier to cast and retrieve than a 8 ounce pyramid sinker. We train with 5 ounce because you can’t learn proper from with heavy weight and stiff rods. Light weights and soft rods allow your body to move freely and maintain good form.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Baseball's

Bull city, 400 yds. with a baseball would be amazing; BUT IT IS 400 FEET!!! A baseball weighs 5 oz.'s and that is what distance caster's use when casting(actually 5 1/4oz's). There are several advantages to using a baseball for practice. #1- They do not go as far, which means when they crack-off, they don't go as far; and you can usually see the ball much easier and where it went. #2- Last weekend when teaching some new folks, several balls went straight up, because they released their throw really early. A ball is much easier to see than lead so you can move. #3-Also, when they do not go as far, you do not need as big a field. #4-When they hit the ground, they hit with a thud and do not sink in the ground, which means you do not have to walk out the field and pull the sinker out of the ground. #5-Since they do not bury in the ground; you can usually reel the ball back in from where you stand, which means alot more time to practice; or actually a compressed time(more throws in a shorter period of time). #6-More throws in a shorter time means time spent on form; not a better distance every throw. Capital Longcaster's use a baseball that has a small hole drilled through the ball and a little bigger hole at just 1 end, that is big enough to push a 1/4" bead inside the ball(flush with the outside). Put a little epoxy on the outside to help keep things intact. I am not saying you can't tie a treble hook on, before threading the leader through; I am saying that this is not not how Capital Longcaster's makes their rigged baseball's. The baseball rig is 6-12 inches long when finished. We buy our baseball's at Walmart; the Dollar Store...for $1 each. Hope this helps, Larry.:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
also wanted to mention that the baseball is a great idea, first time i've seen it mentioned here. i tried using a tennis ball but to light and with weights attached to awkward to throw. will try the baseball as large feilds are hard to find around va beach. will def give it a try, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi John!

It is nice to see that you are still practicing the technique you learned at the Surf Fishing Seminar. I am glad that your technique is steadily improving. Keep up the good work and stay in touch!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DEMON....

Haven't tried the tourney butt section....too much to learn from attending the seminar and afraid to give it a try at this point. Thx for sending it and hope I can find a way to use it.

Longcaster: Out practicing this evening and consistently hitting 350 to 370 feet with modified OTG cast; everytime I get very loose with the cast, out farther it goes. Can't wait til I get the push/pull timing down pat....should see my goal real soon! John.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi John - pleased you are experiencing gains on your old Hatteras Heave. James is right, just stay lose and let it happen. Nothing kills a cast like trying too hard. As I said at the seminar, each of you will develop a technique that suits YOU so don't be afraid to vary things a little. Note the last word, a LITTLE, at a time.
You never know, you may create a mini revolution down on the Point, I certainly created one on the North beach, just never really got to grips with the conga line! Take care and take it easy, it will come. Neil

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YOU are the man, Neil.....

.......as stated before, hands down the s-m-o-o-t-h-e-s-t caster I've had the privledge of meeting.

You gave me a hard time but I did ask for it....and now, I'm getting my monies worth! Purchased 3 new baseball to keep'em white and bright so all those dog-walking pedestrians can see it comin there way! After I've performed the mod OTG with some degree of proficiency, should I move on to the fishing pendulum? The angle of the inswing is more direct but should have similar timing as the mod OTG. Enjoying your video before each casting practice just to keep it real and accurate.

Hope to meet you again and will always make room for you and your "swing" at the Point. John VA-Apraisr.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts