Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When casting long distances,what type of baits do yall use?I would imagine there is a lot of force on the bait.And do yall still use double bottom rigs?What size hooks?

Just wanted yalls .02 cents

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nserch4Drum,

Depending on where or what bait may be squid, bloods,mullet,etc. I normally will use a Breakaway Pulley Rig or a home made rig with clipdowns and a teaser usually a fly on the top with a baited hook on the bottom.Hooks, size, depend on the targeted fish either gami baitholders of gami red circle hooks.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shorebird-thanxs!

Rusty-In Va,and not targeting anything particular rite now,but larger species...ie...the man in the brown suit.I mainly fish with a fish finder rig(5-6 oz),but is it common to put double bottom rigs on heavers(11' to 12' poles).And how do you keep the bait on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try the long ranger rig that joe moore makes.You can also buy the parts you need to make your own and save a few bucks.Cobe fishing requires big baits.So i wouldn't use a top/bottom rig from the surf as 2 big baits will kill your distance.The best way to keep your bait on is to make sure it's the freshest you can get.Bunkers should be firm and anything over 2 days old should be passed by unless it's the only stuff in town.Fresh spot and bluefish also works good on the cobes and stays on better. Just make sure you use good METAL spikes while cobe fishing and not that PVC junk that can pull over easily.(ain't that right ed :D ) lol
Hook sizes for cobia should be 7/0-10/0
I prefer the open circles such as the 8/0 gamakatsu or 7/0 eagle claw laser sharp.
If your still having problems with the bait staying on try ghost cacoon thread.It's an elastic thread that is ment for tying soft baits to your hook.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info,Jim!I will try that.I don't do too much double bottom fishing,unless I am having a fish fry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts