Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need you guys help. i am in the market for a baitrunner reel for a 8ft and a 12 ft rod. i would like to spend $80-$150.00. For those of you who use them, what is the advantage when using live bait, over using live bait with standard spinning tackle? :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
dual drags that are preset. one that is set very light for the fish to pick up the bait and the other for the actual fight. On a regular spinner, you would have to adjust your drag for each application.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Scorpioreno....For livelining with spinning tackle nothing beats the Shimano Baitrunner. I'm currently fishing the 3500B on a 8' Penn Power Stick and two 4500b's on 10' Penn Slammers. I've just ordered the 6500B and a Penn Spin Fisher 11'3" surf rod from Cabela's.

The advantage of using a baitrunner is that it allows the fish to pay out line with the bail closed and gives you an audible clicking sound. When you feel the fish has taken the bait for a long enough period you simply turn the handle and the reel in engaged. You have direct control over what's going on. The audible feature is important in that you don't have to keep an eye on your rod at all times. The free spooling also insures that a fish isn't going to pull you rod into the water. For your 8' rod I go with the 3500B @ $99.99 and the 6500B for the 12' @ $119.99. These are Cabela's prices but they're about the same everywhere. If you're buying at Walmart or K-Mart be careful and make sure the "B" is after the model #. If not the drag and bearings are lighter and that's why they my be prices $10 to $15 cheaper. Most reel mfgs. make special run reels of the same model for the big chains that buy in bulk and even though the model may look the same it's not. Just a little secret that they d don't tell you about. Hope this has been of some help.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Okuma EB series are relatively cheap but gives you alot. I got the EB65 from diggitaldagger.com for 70 dollars. Seems like a nice reel but it hasn't been time tested.

I did some research and could not find a bad review on the new Okuma line of reels. Anglers had EB65 for 125 dollars... insane... :mad: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Jangwuah...The Akuma Epixor baitfeeder reels looks good and I wouldn't mind test driving one. As far as I know it's a realitively new reel to the market so there's not a lot history on it. I like that fact that you get a FREE spare spool which you don't with the Shimano. I tried the web site you gave but it doesn't work. Cabela's price for the EB-65 is $94.99. I buy almost 100% of my fishing gear from them.

A couple of the people fishing on the Morning Star last Saturday were using Okuma reels for sea bass and they looked pretty smooth. I couldn't tell what model.

Catman.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't speak to Okuma's bait casters, but I purchased a Okuma spinning reel about 3 months ago and have loved it.

It is very smooth and the drag is amazing for the price. All of the bait shop folks I have talked to claim that the charter captains are buying a bunch of Okuma reels, but take that with a grain of salt.

I could probably give you a better assessment after 3 years rather than 3 months though...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Scorpioreno,
Can't go wrong with the Shimano Baitrunner especially the newer B-model(6500B). The baitrunner feature allows the fish to pick up the bait without feeling any resistance. Check out Shark River mail order at (srmo.com). They have the best prices on baitrunners ex. 6500B for $99.99.
P.S. they have the Okuma Epixor EB65 for $69.99.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Jamcaster...Thanks for the Shark River site. Just spent about 1/2 hr on it checking some things out. I'm impressed! Pro quality stuff and priced lower than Cabela's. I ordered some more Power Pro High Vis Yellow line and an 8oz. bank sinker mold. I use the 8 oz. sinkers for wreck fishing and it get very snaggy down there. Thanks again Jamcaster.

Catman.

·
Registered
84 Posts
$99 shimano baitrunner 6500b on shrak river is the best price i've seen. I can't even get a used one for that price on ebay.

I've got 2 6500 and a 4500 that I used heavily for the last 2 years. I fish 70 days per year. Not one problem.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
John...Thanks, that works. I'll look it over later this evening when I have more time.

Catman.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have an Okuma EB65 and so far I love it. I bought it for live lining at the Tank this fall. I have used it a couple of times this spring and it is pretty smooth. I wont know for sure until this fall when I return and hit the Tank.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Axon...Nailed down any place to fish over there yet? Hope to meet you this fall at the Tank live lining for striper. I'm going down next Saturday and see what shaking with the croaker. Does the military still use MPC there in Korea? Nice to hear from you again. :D :D

Catman. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
No fishing yet, still in the hotel. I heard something about a trip in the begining of June. So I guess I need to get hot on getting a new set-up for over here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks alot guys, thats why i love this site,you ask for help and and boy do you get it!!!! i think i am going to try the shamano series. i will see you guys out there as soon as this weather breaks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hat, I originally ordered it off of Cabelas, but they were late in shipping it so I bought it from a store in Alexandria, down route 1 towards Springfield. The prices were a bit high, but I was also buying a rod so the owner gave me a better deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI: Wal-Mart in Clinton/Waldorf carry the 6500B Shimano Baitrunner for $89.00 give or take 50 cents. I plan on going by there this evening. If I don't forget to post, I'll definitely let you guys know for sure. They were suppose to order some, when they were out of stock a week or so ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts