Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a crazy question but here goes has anyone used any of the baitrunner type reels for cobia/king mackerel fishing if you did and stop using it why didn't you like the reel and if your still using it why do you like the reel?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I see no problem with using the Baitrunners for Cobia fishing in the bay or bottom fishing the Ocean for them(just have spools of line incase ocean rays pick up your bait). For a fighting rod the line capasity is a bit small by most people's standards for king fishing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
may i reccomend the shimano TLD 25 for king rigging. you need the line cap. the TLD holds600 yds of 30 and is an exc. reel for the money. not a casting reel. but great for fighting with a good lever drag system. you need at least 400 yds for that 85 lb cobia or 60 lb king. or god forbid that 600 lb VW ray.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself,Demonfish.. The shimano tld along with the calcutta are the Cadillac of conventionals,as far as fighting a big fish!! I could add the Diawa's,such as shv40 and 50 IMHO are no slouches either,and they cast pretty well,if a few adjustments are made.. If I were still in the "hayday of planker fishing", ALL of the above are the ones I'd pick from..;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts