Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which reel is better and why? I am looking at stepping up from my Baitrunner 4500's.

TIA,

Anthony

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have never used the expixor, but I have the 6500. I really like it. if you are happy with the 4500, I say stick to what you know.

todd

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I own both the Baitrunner and the Okuma Coronado. I had considered buying the Epixor because it's got more bearings than the Coronado and it has a spare spool, but it's not really the best reel for surf fishing.

The Coronado has stainless steel gears; not so the Epixor. The Baitrunner is good but it's heavy.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I use the Coronado and it is just as good as the baitrunner it had no problems with the blues I caught this year and you can't beat the price. The baitrunner is good but I feel that it is priced too high as compared to the Coronado but if you like the baitrunner there is no need to change I don't think one is better than the other I looked at them both and for the price I paid I picked the Coronado it is much better for the surf than the Expixor.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
coco you just answered my question, I'v got the CD-90 matched with a OM 12' and now I'm looking for a reel for a 12' Dawia(older model glass rod).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Coronado holds a lot maore line than Baitrunner.

·
Registered
712 Posts
anthony,heres what it comes down to they are both very great reels the epixors have greater line cap and come with a spare spool.the baitrunners are very well built and can last as long as 14 years and the factory stands behind them.i just got an epixor last season and it preformed well so if you ask me decide how many different situations you're going to fish and decide then the epixor gives you more flexibility with its 2 spools so there you go.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Does the baitfeeder drag automatically disengage on the Coronado like it does on the Baitrunner, or do you have to manually flip it off like on the Penn Liveliner?

I haven't had a chance to really look at the Coronado yet, but I'm considering getting one for this spring when the big stingrays, sharks, reds, and tarpon come into the surf.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
When Hat80 and myself met at PLO this past fall he brought his(Coronado) CD-65 baitfeeder he showed me how it worked with just a half turn(maybe not that much) it automatically engaged and that's one of the reasons I got the CD-90;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Okay Anthony,

The EB-8 holds more line and it has 10 BB's. It is very smooth. However, the clicker is not loud enough for the surf. The Baitrunner clivker is much much louder. And finally, the Baitrunner has a baked finish whereas the EB-80 is painted. The Baitrunner's can take more abuse.

PS: I own and use them both.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was sitting 15 feet away and heard the clicker fine:D .
Do you know anything about the Coronado?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I just purchased the coronado and found that it is extremely quiet when put it into freespool. When fishing at night I would recommend using a bell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts