Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI:There are tons of 1-2 inch spots congregating at the end of the Great Kneck Passage.I have been using a 6 foot cast net to catch them and put them in my floating bait bucket.I have been scoring pretty decent schoolie sized stripers on the changing tide,on a fish finder rig and and a #6 circle hook.I toss all the ones back at the end of stay.

Question:Can you freeze and brine the small spot and use them later?I know you can freeze menhaden,but not too sure on spot.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I would expect the spot to freeze, and hold up better. Have not done them whole, but I salt and freeze strips for Fluke and Specks, and they do fine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
SWEET info!!!! Thanks Nserch!! Those little buggers are like candy to Trout and Flounder alike..... Another favorite of mine is the baby Croaker complete with audio :D Fish can't stand it!

Fish On

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got this from the RDT board last year and used it with some cigar mullet from Lynnhaven.

Make slurry in a cooler of: non-iodized salt, baking soda, ice, sea water. After netting your bait dump them directly into the mix in the cooler. Let set @ 1 hour as to soak up mixture. Bag bait in Ziplocs and freeze.

This worked for me, kept those mullet more firm than just freezing them. The color turned the outside (skin-scales-eyes) a little chalky, but again it was much better than the ones put directly in the freezer. If you’re keeping baitfish whole, for a couple or three weeks, I’d recommend giving it a try. Start out with a small amount of bait and see how it works.

FISH-ON

1 - 4 of 4 Posts