Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question as to if its legal or not to use bait (IE; a ball of bread) in a homemade minnow trap to catch some bait. I THINK its legal in its purest form, but I don't know if it could be seen as shrimp baiting which would require the extra license.

So should I be fine as long as I return and shrimp that may wander in?

-=The Prynce

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
eventhough a minnow trap can catch shrimp and other non- minnow orgnaims, u dpnt nned a ;ecense or anything. also if u shrimp using a hoppnet with bait, u dont need license either. license is only needed for using baits and cast netting over the bait.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
eventhough a minnow trap can catch shrimp and other non- minnow orgnaims, u dpnt nned a ;ecense or anything. also if u shrimp using a hoppnet with bait, u dont need license either. license is only needed for using baits and cast netting over the bait.
Bluefish,..........................You been drinkin?;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ther are minnow traps and shrimp traps. Shrimp traps are illegal in SC, minnow traps are fine. You may get a few shrimp in your minnow trap, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Shrimp baiting is only legal during the 60 day period in Sept-Nov. Must display tags, 1/2 in minimum mesh size cast net, , etc. All of the rules are available from SCDNR

Now if you have a cast net for gathering bait, you don't need a saltwater license to use it to catch shrimp, not over bait. You do need a saltwater license to use your cast net to gather any bait OTHER THAN shrimp..... Mud minnows, pinfish, perch, blue crabs, juvenile spots (BTW, juvie spots are like crack cocaine for redfish).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.