Pier and Surf Forum banner

Baitcaster woes

Question: 
3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  fishhawkxxx 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I received an Abu Garcia WS5600 Ambassadeur reel, and it is great (paired with a Penn rod 7ft). It is spooled with 12lb mono. What I have noticed is that with the spool a third of the way full, I can consistently cast with decent distance, accuracy, and never backlash. But as soon as I refill the spool, I backlash almost every time. I have the brake tuned as both the reel manual and many websites have suggested (with lure on, put it on freespool and tighten it to the point where it will barely take line off). Any guesses at what I'm doing wrong? I know its hard without a video, but I've been out in the yard every night practicing. This is my first real baitcaster. Any help is appreciated!

Nick

#2 ·
are you using any thumb on the cast?... even with the reel set like the book says you'll still need to thumb the spool to control it during the cast... that's not a magged reel that you can get away with no thumbing except for the splash down...

#4 ·
Yes, definitely using the thumb. I'll lock it down some more. Would mono quality have anything to do with it? I'm using Shakespeare line, which was fairly cheap and seemed to make a good practice casting line. It does have an almost, well not sticky, but rubberish feel. It doesn't run over the thumb very easy.

#11 ·
doin aight since I got over the case of sinus I was suffering from in those photo's... been wanting to get out fishing since I got back to the Ferry but weather was all messed up today, first chance since I got back... oh well summers comin... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.