Pier and Surf Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
well I can tell you I throw 8nbait about 125 or so and some guy fly right by me with no problam of ocourse I dont have a tape but in any event much much farther than I have ever seen a spinning reel go in my 30yrs of fishing the point

I dont swim out with a tape purely a estamate I admit maybe not acurate but the song remains the same spinners are second class always have been aways will be run your mouth all you want that will never change

you are the one running off at the mouth with your half baked opinions.
funny how all those 200 yd 8n baiters never show up at events where accurate measurments are taken!
oh here we have another rocket scientist. would some one just please post just one piece of credible evedence where a spinning reel out cast a covetional with all this world of knollage that can not be that hard to do dont give cheap excueses give me facts untill then I would have to say based on the posts here there is only one conclusion that can be made coventionals cast big bait father period does not matter if it is 20ft 200ft 600ft who cares
the song remains the same I dont have to prove that it is proven day after day at the casting capital of the world the obx so bring it down there and prove it where it matters most in action .not in some little playground .

feel free to post all this proff of the spinning reels beating the convetionals

nite nite
9rock

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
oh here we have another rocket scientist. would some one just please post just one piece of credible evedence where a spinning reel out cast a covetional with all this world of knollage that can not be that hard to do dont give cheap excueses give me facts untill then I would have to say based on the posts here there is only one conclusion that can be made coventionals cast big bait father period does not matter if it is 20ft 200ft 600ft who cares
the song remains the same I dont have to prove that it is proven day after day at the casting capital of the world the obx so bring it down there and prove it where it matters most in action .not in some little playground .

feel free to post all this proff of the spinning reels beating the convetionals

nite nite
9rock

·
Registered
278 Posts
One thing that I have noticed is that the weight of a conventional to spinner reel of comparative size is less. For example, a Penn 525 mag is about 18-19 oz and a daiwa sha is about 16oz verses a tica dolphin 8000 -9000 / 5000 daiwa emblem at ~23-24 oz. Except that Saltist is about the same...but damn that thing looks solid.....Anyway I would rather throw and hold a lighter set up...it helps me back feel good.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt_Slough
Far from being a braggart I'm actually asking, why am I so special?

simple you are not you offer not reel proof that spinning gear is even equal never mind better that conventionals , do you ever even fish the point the coventional camp ground of the world I have seen guys throw out 8nbait 200 yrds with no problam some times I sit there in compleat disbelief and bringing in big fish to boot.

so I have to ask my self one question do I listen to a guy from phily or should I believe the thousands of guys I have seen in the obx its not a hard decision for me
the #s here support the covetionals also. so till I see differant not he said she said
I have no choice but to go with what I see . seeing is believing

9rock

I've got to jump in here. The Cape Point legendary 200 yard 8nbait Hatteras Cast stories have been floating around for years. It just does not happen. It is easy to be impressed with the distance some of these guys throw, and 10 years ago i was a believer but trust me it just doesn't happen. A REALLY good 8nbait guy (see CDog above) will hit 400'. A GREAT 8nbaiter will come in around 450'. 500' would be damn impressive to me.

600' with a Hatteras Cast 8oz and a hunk of bunker ain't going to happen with the possible exception of a good caster and a 30mph tailwind.

Tommy

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
And..........circles are better than j's

And..........Braid is better than mono

And..........Ford is better that Chevy

And..........Dallas is better than Washington

And, and, and........AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
For me the casting setup showed a clear advantage.

Tommy
Round 1

Spinning – 371’
Casting – 445’

Round 2

Spinning – 375’
Casting – 471’

Round 3

Spinning 355’

I see tommy says 500ft may be tops for 8nbait so I will concead the 200

when you get out of that ditch call me end of discussion
9rock

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ok your new name is "end of discussion" . . .

I would have conceded that a 6500 Mag Elite would beat a Stradic with .35mm mono before the test.

In fact I'm surprised there wasn't more of a difference.
well I see that you have to have the last word no matter what the out come
tommy did not use a tuned reel he used straight out of the box 6500 mag
not the best of the bunch. I see you wont let it rest telling him you will send down your reels for test so I quess we will see when that happens but untill then the proff is in .

I would ask what else you know but I know that is everything

make sure you get the last word in now because I know you would not have it any other way thats why I played this stupid little game in the first place

see ya

9rock

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,344 Posts
Guys,

It was just a few casts in the field. I'm not claiming the casting reel to be superior to the spinner across the board. Just that on this afternoon, with these two setups the casting came out on top.

It will be interseting to see how the high end super spinner with braid compares to the same tried and true 6500. I expect it to be very close.

More tests to come.

Tommy

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just a Southern thing. Why would one cast past were the fish are biting? And when did the OBX become the Surf Fishing Capital? It does not mater what others use as far as reel and rod type. If what you use works then use it. 9Rock I know alot of guys with 50,000.00$ Boats and Trucks , and still can not catch there own arse.:eek::beer::fishing:

·
Registered
87 Posts
baitcaster is better no buts about it!

get yourself a nice 9-10 ft pole med-med hvy graphite pole ,put a reel you feel comfortable with & know it has more than enough line capacity to yeild a 40+lb fish.most of the time you should use a steel leader on your lure of choice.(real/fake) unless fishing for FTSE .then use a mono /floro leader. keep fishing.!:fishing:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, first off if we are discussing fishing applications that is the wrong question / focus because, when was the last time someone landed a decent fish from 500+ feet with a tournament sized and tuned conventional spooled with tournament line?
I haven't read the whole thread only the first page but Sgt S are you taking this personal?

Sounds like you are developing a battle plan for how to concur the conventional reels.

I the first page it was said that both spinners and conventional s have their place which I agree with. I use conventional for surf fishing because I like it and I am more comfortable with them. I have and use both when I yak, mostly spinners. Boating I use conventional for 99% of the time for catching non-bait fish and spinners of catching bait.

IMO both have their place and neither one stands out from other, both are needed.

Hand a conventional to an untrained conventional caster and you will have a mess hand that same person a spinner and they will catch a fish.

The only thing this thread has brought to light is that spinners have very little of a learning curve but the conventional is not the same.

Fish what you want because it's what you are comfortable with. I, as many on this site can, throw both and prefer the conventional but that is not an exclusive decision. If I can throw it with conventional I will and if not spinners will be put in place.

For the record Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and GM suck Ford rules.

·
Registered
998 Posts
nobody is making the claim that spinners are better than conventionals. thats a matter of preference. the only claim that i see is that if you need to cast you bait out as far as possible, the spinner is the better choice.
now i dont know which one is better for that specific purpose, and thats why i cant wait to see what happens when tommy gives sarges reel a try. i think the spinner will probably come out on top, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
.....:popcorn:......:beer:......:D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread only the first page but Sgt S are you taking this personal?
I have taken a position and I am ardently defending it. I enjoy persuasive writing and debate . . . If you think this topic is charged you oughta read me when I write on gun rights.

Sounds like you are developing a battle plan for how to concur the conventional reels.
I'm only relating my experiences with the two tackle types and explaining what is possible with new generation spinning tackle. As I've said before, the old paradigms have changed and "facts" that were unquestioned are now suspect. The "fact" that I enjoy attacking the most is that for fishing, "if ya need to get it out there, conventional is the only way to go . . ."

People extend the advantage conventionals have on the casting court to the beach and that just doesn't carry over.

So, it is not me developing a battle plan, it's me just recounting the battle, the battle is over . . . and that is evidenced by the lack of answers to my questions in this thread.

Hand a conventional to an untrained conventional caster and you will have a mess hand that same person a spinner and they will catch a fish.
Thank you for restating a primary point from my first post in this thread.

Plainly stated my position is that modern spinning tackle opens a door for fishermen of all talent and experience levels to a level of performance and more importantly, day in day out fishing consistency that conventional tackle just does not offer.

This discussion has reached the absurd level of people arguing that the inherent difficulties in using conventional gear are evidence of its superiority.

The only thing this thread has brought to light is that spinners have very little of a learning curve but the conventional is not the same.
Well, that would be an easy assumption to make . . . But just for fun let's have a little thought experiment . . .

Since Tommy can outcast me by about 200ft OTG on the court I fully expect Tommy to able to cast 50 feet further than me OTG with my braid loaded Shimano PowerAero on a fishing rod. That would put him over 700ft.

I would go so far as to argue that if he isn't well into the upper 700's OTG with a spinning FISHING set-up then perhaps casting a spinner to a high performance level is a bit more difficult than all of you think?

So, after repeatedly hearing about there being no "learning curve" for spinners and reading that spinning is the domain of talentless hacks am I taking it personal?

DAMN RIGHT I AM!!

We shall see won't we. . .

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sgt_Slough

Ooooooohhhhh . . . wintertime fun thread!

My favorite discussion

I will say first that there are some techniques / tactics when a conventional gets the nod (livelining mullet/bunker/eels off a jetty comes to mind) but I am an advocate for the supremacy of spinning tackle for open beach fishing; . . . The stipulation being, I'm not talking about a Penn 7500SS and Ugly Stik. (NTTIAWWT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Slough
Plainly stated my position is that modern spinning tackle opens a door for fishermen of all talent and experience levels:) to a level of performance and more importantly, day in day out fishing consistency that conventional tackle just does not offer.

Sgt_Slough
So, after repeatedly hearing about there being no "learning curve" for spinners and reading that spinning is the domain of talentless hacks am I taking it personal?

you cant have it both ways if you say all tallent you include little to no

distance with braid is the only valid point I have seen other than the ease of fishing with one .after several others have pointed out the benifits of coventionals in their points of veiw you revert to childish posting of pointless pics. :beer:

9rock

121 - 140 of 155 Posts