Pier and Surf Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I only distance cast to be enhance my fishing opportunities. As I said, in casting tourneys I use my everyday fishing set-ups

so I am assuming that your #s are in your album of the 2007 sportscast

I need hard #s not opionions because you know what they say about those

9rock
My personal best in an actual Sportcast casting tourney was 655ft casting 125gm Off the Ground. My back doesn't let me cast pendulum.

The image in my album is of a "Fisherman's Casting Tournament" using fishing equipment throwing fishing rigs with simulated bait. A 3' Mr Twister was the "small bait" and a 6" sassy shad with the paddle cut off was the "large bait".

Edited to add:
I guess I should add a link to substantiate that claim. The tournament was the 2008 NE Regionals, April 26-27th 2008

See This Link and scroll down to "NE Casting Results Marlton NJ" in the 125gm results . . .

·
Registered
909 Posts
By personal best in an actual Sportcast casting tourney was 655ft casting 125gm Off the Ground. My back doesn't let me cast pendulum.

The image in my album is of a "Fisherman's Casting Tournament" using fishing equipment throwing fishing rigs with simulated bait. A 3' Mr Twister was the "small bait" and a 6" sassy shad with the paddle cut off was the "large bait".

ok those are good #s but I hardly see those comparing with conventionals
I have looked at the uk results added in 10% and they are still not there.
so I have to say close yes as far no

9rock

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Aight guys, let's calm it down a tad before someone says something they regret...

As for numbers, with a conventional and fishing line/rigs/simulated baits I'm throwing 112.6 yds (measured in August). A king anchor and pin-rigging line (25# and no shocker, don't judge me ;)) I'm putting up 126 yds. With tournament line and sinkers I'm just under 135.

Setup is a 525 Mag w/ HO mg upgrade and matched bearings mounted on an OMCP 12'. Cost: $268

Now with spinners: Braid/fishing rig/pyramid I can hit 85 yds consistently. King anchor and braid takes me to ~100, and tournament with mono ~90.

Setup: Okuma Stratus ST-50 on an OMCP 11'4". Cost: $210

That's me. I am by no means an experienced caster or someone that can post up I find that I can't control the release on a spinner as well as I can a conventional. Maybe a canon or a casting glove would improve my numbers a bit. But I'm learning a lot on my conventional setups and I really enjoy throwing them more than the spinner.

Evan

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
ok those are good #s but I hardly see those comparing with conventionals
I have looked at the uk results added in 10% and they are still not there.
so I have to say close yes as far no

9rock
When have I ever said spinners are competitive with conventionals on the casting court?

I have only been discussing fishing distances with "fishing appropriate" tackle.

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine . . .

Well, first off if we are discussing fishing applications that is the wrong question / focus because, when was the last time someone landed a decent fish from 500+ feet with a tournament sized and tuned conventional spooled with tournament line?

I, and most guys who throw spinners in casting tournaments use what essentially are, everyday fishing set-ups. I use an off the shelf HDX with the fishing butt and a Shimano PowerAero reel. Mark Edwards' national record for spinning was set with an All Star 1508 built just like thousands of others by Hatteras Jacks and a Shimano Thunnus 16000.

There's the rub!

For every modification that a conventional tournament caster makes to go fishing, a significant reduction in distance potential is realized.

Why don't we tally the changes up? . . .
Be honest and fill in the blanks:

Fishing sized and tuned reel? --- MINUS _____ FEET
.35mm / .40mm line --- MINUS _____ FEET
Moving reel up the butt ---- MINUS _____ FEET
So I ask again, what are those costs to a tournament caster's "distance potential" when picking up and throwing "fishing appropriate" gear?

I am a slightly above average caster on the court (AA class), I am barely a threat to the AAA class (650 - 725 ft) and certainly will never be a threat to the Master class pendulum casters (725+ft) . . .

But we are talking FISHING . . . So the question isn't which throws furthest over grass; (or by how far does conventional tournament casting gear in the hands of the world's best casters out throw me and my spinner fishing gear) the question is, how many upper tier conventional tournament casters can put aside the tournament casting gear and still throw as far (or further) with a practical fishing conventional set-up (6500 / 7000 class reel tuned for fishing mounted up the butt spooled with 17lb mono etc)?

Far from being a braggart I'm actually asking, why am I so special?

What I've come up with is that modern spinners offer an advantage over conventional tackle for FISHING long distance.

I'm willing (and actually begging) to hear contrary evidence but I haven't in the 5 or so years I've been the Multiple Message Board Spinner A'hole.

MMBSA, I like the sound of that!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Let's go this route,,,, why is it I can throw so much further at night than I can during the day time when I can see where the sinker lands :confused:

I know when I throw at night it just seems to go on and on and on :eek: I am guessing it has to do with the Moon and it's pull :rolleyes:

I just know I throw so much farther at night than I do during the daytime so all my distance casting will be done in the dark ;)

PS.. I have stood beside a few fellers at the Point and they were thrown spinners and getting just as far as everyone else and catching big drum.
(hated to admit that as hard a time as I love giving Sarge) :mad:

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
you crack me up.....:beer:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt_Slough

simple you are not you offer not reel proof that spinning gear is even equal never mind better that conventionals , do you ever even fish the point the coventional camp ground of the world I have seen guys throw out 8nbait 200 yrds with no problam some times I sit there in compleat disbelief and bringing in big fish to boot.

so I have to ask my self one question do I listen to a guy from phily or should I believe the thousands of guys I have seen in the obx its not a hard decision for me
the #s here support the covetionals also. so till I see differant not he said she said
I have no choice but to go with what I see . seeing is believing

9rock

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt_Slough

simple you are not you offer not reel proof that spinning gear is even equal never mind better that conventionals , do you ever even fish the point the coventional camp ground of the world I have seen guys throw out 8nbait 200 yrds with no problam some times I sit there in compleat disbelief and bringing in big fish to boot.

so I have to ask my self one question do I listen to a guy from phily or should I believe the thousands of guys I have seen in the obx its not a hard decision for me
the #s here support the covetionals also. so till I see differant not he said she said
I have no choice but to go with what I see . seeing is believing

9rock
200 yards....LOL

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have seen guys throw out 8nbait 200 yrds with no problam some times I sit there in compleat disbelief
PFFFFFFFT

Was that you taking a hit off your NOS???

There goes whatever credibility you had on this subject!

And there's why conventionals will always outcast spinners! LOL

·
Registered
909 Posts
PFFFFFFFT

Was that you taking a hit off your NOS???

There goes whatever credibility you had on this subject!

And there's why conventionals will always outcast spinners! LOL
well I can tell you I throw 8nbait about 125 or so and some guy fly right by me with no problam of ocourse I dont have a tape but in any event much much farther than I have ever seen a spinning reel go in my 30yrs of fishing the point

I dont swim out with a tape purely a estamate I admit maybe not acurate but the song remains the same spinners are second class always have been aways will be run your mouth all you want that will never change

·
Registered
909 Posts

sgt
mabe if I am real lucky you will come down and show me how catch fish with these because certianly I know nothing about fishing

9rock

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Poor orlandochuck (originator of this thread) must feel he lit a fuse!

Hey man, it's ok. Obviously they are brothers with different mothers!

·
Registered
998 Posts
hahahaha, thats some funny stuff

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
well I can tell you I throw 8nbait about 125 or so and some guy fly right by me with no problam of ocourse I dont have a tape but in any event much much farther than I have ever seen a spinning reel go in my 30yrs of fishing the point

I dont swim out with a tape purely a estamate I admit maybe not acurate but the song remains the same spinners are second class always have been aways will be run your mouth all you want that will never change

you are the one running off at the mouth with your half baked opinions.
funny how all those 200 yd 8n baiters never show up at events where accurate measurments are taken!

·
Registered
449 Posts
What about the choking effect and friction caused by line spiraling off a spinning reel and hitting the first guide? I know there are combos that attempt to minimize this effect but I don't see how it can be completely eliminated. With a conventional I feel like the line "peels" off more smoothly and line slapping against guides is non-existant. For me, and just my opinion, I feel like this gives a clear advantage to the conventional if the only criteria is distance.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Here, I've started you on your way, you look like a better fisherman now:

View attachment 1131
I like things big certianly you can understand that

the invite is still there you are always welcome to come on down and
cast a few and catch a few

I am sleepy now I think I will go to bed and dream of getting to your level
modesty and knollage both of which out distance your casts oh thats rightQUOTE=Sgt_Slough
My back doesn't let me cast pendulum

have a nice night:)

101 - 120 of 155 Posts