Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If by baitcaster you mean non-levelwind conventional, then that one for the most part.

For chunking bait way out there conventionals are my go-to, but I'd take spinning for throwing lures. Also I'd probably be willing to trade my conventional heavers for Basia spinning setups.

Evan

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It depends on what you're targeting. Fishing for table fish on bottom rigs, spinning. No backlashes, distance is generally better with lighter weights. For drum or fishing big cut baits, go conventional.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Each has a pupose..

Conventional is when I make a cast,stand there and hold the rod,set it in a spike,or boat rod holder with bait and fishfinder rig.. Baitfishing a wreck,or sometimes when jigging wrecks.. Or trolling in the boat,pinrigging or drumming off the planks..

Spinners for sightcasting from the boat,at times wreckfishing with jigs,casting from the beach for trout,pups,spainish,bluefish,stripers,ect... Great for pompano fishing or food fishing from the surf..

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I used to be a "baitcaster fanatic" when it came to casting farther with bigger weights and for bottom fishing for larger fish. Now, with the advent of improved spinning reels, especially those with some "monster drags"...ala FinNor and others, as well as the "baitrunner" features, I'm starting to change over to more spinning. I will, however, still use the conventionals for the head-boats and also still use my Torque 100, simply because I like it so much!:D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ooooooohhhhh . . . wintertime fun thread!

My favorite discussion

I will say first that there are some techniques / tactics when a conventional gets the nod (livelining mullet/bunker/eels off a jetty comes to mind) but I am an advocate for the supremacy of spinning tackle for open beach fishing; . . . The stipulation being, I'm not talking about a Penn 7500SS and Ugly Stik. (NTTIAWWT)

Modern, surf engineered spinners can do everything conventionals do from the beach and if you are willing to spend a few more bucks on upper tier equipment you can move into a zone of casting distance, drag performance, fish fighting ability and tackle strength only dreamed about by anyone surfcasting using any equipment just a few years ago.

Plainly stated my position is that modern spinning tackle opens a door for fishermen of all talent and experience levels to a level of performance and more importantly, day in day out fishing consistency that conventional tackle just does not offer.

Nothing against the guys willing to invest the time and pounds of mono to realize high performance consistently with revolving spools but I got better things to do. :fishing:

Ok, let it begin . . .

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Oh God, it's gonna' be a loooong winter...

I'll leave the pros and cons to everyone else, but has anyone else noticed the geographic divide on equipment? Down south most seem to use conventionals, while up north spinners dominate.

·
Registered
506 Posts

I'll leave the pros and cons to everyone else, but has anyone else noticed the geographic divide on equipment? Down south most seem to use conventionals, while up north spinners dominate.
Among those who post here on P&S, true. On the beach, not so much.

I see more conventionals in the hands of "serious" fishermen but it seems nearly everyone else uses spinners. Why? :rolleyes:

1) Lots of light tackle freshwater opportunties make spinning gear popular as dual use set-ups, throwing lighter lures and bait.

2) Lots of casual fishermen who don't want or need to learn conventionals and lots of decent, cheap spinning tackle to fill their need.

3) Too many Damn Yankees coming down with their spinning gear and crowding the beaches! ;)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Toyota's...you know that JP stuff rules..:D

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,344 Posts

Ford vs Chevy

Spinner vs Casting

Mason vs Dixon

This thread has potential..... :D:D:D

:fishing:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well I dont know about spinners vs conventionals, but the South is better than the North. Yeeehaw!!

;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh No,
Now the People's Republic of Chapel Hill is involved, next the SELC is gonna sue someone to restrict the parts of the beach that can be fished with spinners or conventionals. LOL
charlie

·
Registered
909 Posts
when was the last time a spinning reel won a long distance contest? with out pumping the rod which reel has more cranking power ? in the 20-30 lb class which reel is heavier?
when you lose 50 yds of line off the spool which reel is affected more? which reel does the line last longer on?

I use spinning for repeated casting . conventional for surf 4-8 n bait

9rock

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
9rock,

Spinners aren't allowed in most casting competitions. Some months ago someone posted up a video of a specialized, engineered-for-distance spinnier capable of hitting tournament distance.

For generalized long-distance fishing the Daiwa Basia is the crown jewel reel.

In the late 60's and mid 70's, Mitchell worked to make a tournament casting spinner, but the idea never caught on and the development was canceled in 1978. This is what they came up with in 1963.

How badass does that thing look?

Edit:
Here are pics of the distance-only spinner. I found them in a thread on Stripers Online about this same topic.

Evan

1 - 20 of 155 Posts