Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought real nice reels from this dude in Aussie...after I opened it up and realize that it was bait runner reel with that flicker at the back of reel....My question is that what is the purpose of that flicker and how is it different from conventional spinning reel..? Any advise would be very helpful... :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Blue...the Baitrunner reel is for "free-spooling". The lever at the back, when engaged, acts as a really loose drag. It lets the fish take the bait and feel very little resistance form the line as it spools ,evenly , off the reel. It's great for live lining or fishing with cut bait.
After you see the line going out, you crank the handle and the "free-spoling" mechanism ceases and then your normal pre-set drag is now the primary drag.
When I fish for shark this works well because the shark can take line and then I already have the "full time" drag set to exactly where I need it. I'm not an experienced surf fisherman so the first 2 summers I used a spinning reel without a function like a baitrunner I almost lost 2 rods because I forgot to loosen the drag and a shark dragged my rod out of the sand spike and towards the surf. After a few rods were dragged within inches of the suds, I realized I had to loosen the drag, or lose my rods.
I use Shimano 6500's, which saved my rods/reels from taking a drink when I am not paying as close attention to them as I should.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I have 3 Shimano Baitrunners, 2 5500's and 1 6500. I ordered another 6500 Sunday from Shark River. I use them both for live lining and surf fishing. It's an excellent reel for it's intended purpose.

Catman.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shark and Cat!! You guys ROX!!!!!

thanks a bunch...... :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I known this earlier....How early you ask? ...... before school of skates took both of my 15' ugly stik from Point Lookout pier........that early... by the way...

leaving bait runner open versus leave in close..... what would you prefer? or is it depends on which species you are going after?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use circle hooks, so I always leave the baitrunner function in the "on" position. I swear by circle hooks, they catch the fish in the same spot almost every time...right on the side of the mouth.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Bluefish...Both FL FISHERMAN and myself almost lost out rods a couple of week ago. The only thing that saved my rod was the reel catching on cement rail. I didn't have a baitrunner on that rod.

Sharkhunter...Interesting observation you make about the circles hooking the fish in the right side of the mouth. I made the same observation. I was seabass fishing and caught weel over 50 bass and everyone was hooked that way, the same with the croakers at the Tank. Does this mean that most fish turn to the left when hooked? Looks like an opportunity for another study.

Catman.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree.. For some reason I did hooked most of my fish on side of mouth with circle hook..However, I had hellava time last month at point lookout because no matter how fast I set the hook..it was one hook for every fish..... My mom was real shocked because when she clean all corakers she found hook on almost all croakers... :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
shark hunter,very well put .I agree when you are not paying close attention to your rods for whatever reason the baitrunner can save the day:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts