Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have let it known that I'm a true bait lover--Live,cut,brined & Frozen is usually the only thing that I will fish with. I've never ever been a big fan of plugs and spoons; However it seems all the biguns are being caught off of lures. To be honest this is the first year that I have ventured into fishing past the month of Oct. I usually quit when the spot quit, but since I've joined this board I've been turned on to Striper and Drum fishing-- and I don't think I'm gonna let it go.

I grew up in this area, but I've lived in Ga for the past 15 years and as you know there is no salt water around the Atl. area. When I left I was strickly a bottom man. Spot, Croaker --that kind of thing, but over the past year and a half my selection and species list has grown by at least 6 kinds of fish. However I am still a novice to surf fishing. (Just bought my first sand spikes this year.) I just can't help it I LOVE fishing--can't stop

So, I'm asking my fellow fishermen/women to give me some advice (without laughing at me too hard) and keep it simple.---My first Saltwater lure or plug---for the Stripers

What to get and where to buy it--try and keep it reasonably priced

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Considering the time of year we're in I'd say go out and buy some of the new WildEye Storm lures. They're like a lead-head jig with a rubber grub tail that's all one lure made in one piece. They're relitively inexpensive too, about $.50-0.60 each depending where you get them. Now all you've got to do is figgure out what color to use because there's about 20 of them. Just think of what your live bait looks like that catchs the most fish and that should get you started.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The basics:

1. Buy some chest waders - price varies according to type. PA Distributors on 17th St had Hodgman neoprene bootfoot waders for $100 last year.

2. Buy a few rattle traps (Chrome w/ blue back has worked for me) - $3.50-4 ea., some casting metals such as hopkins, stingsilver, etc. in the 2-4 oz. range - $3-6 ea., Storm Wildeye Shads (5-6") in various colors - $3-5 ea., and white headed bucktails in 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz. - $1-2 ea., with various bass assassin flavors - $3-4 per pack. All of the above can be bought at local tackle shops and any x-Mart out there.

3. Tie above to your favorite rig and fish Chick's Beach for a couple of hours on both sides of the evening low tide, wading out to the first light on the bayside bridge.

There are other places to go, Chick's happens to be my favorite.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
rattle traps huh

I have a couple of them left over from my fresh water days at Clarks Hill, in Augusta Ga. I also have some beetle spins (for Crappie)and spinner baits(for Bass). will these work too? It kinda seems like the rockfish favor the same bait as freshwater bass.

I have already added Storm Wildeye Shad. to my list of must have and will probably pick up a metal spoon while I'm there

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Get the rat'l traps with the saltwater hardwear on them. Plus, you want the larger sized 3/4 to 1oz size. I've used a 1oz spinnerbait with a 6" Mr. Wiffle (twister tail) with some success. Those freshwater lures you have may be a little small and the hooks are too weak.
If you have larger fresh water minnow plugs or topwater lures, you can swap out the trebles for larger trebles or a J-hook.

Don't forget about getting a matched rod and reel for the lures. Those rods for bottom fishing may not work too well when throwing lures that have been mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't buy spoons for casting, they flutter too much when casting into the wind - that's where the stingsilver and lures like it excel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
good point

Good point chest2 My equipment may not be suitable for casting lures and jigs. Right now I'm still working with some Wallyword equip. I have the 54.00 surf rod combo with a 10' shakespire rod and reel. I dont believe it will handle the light weight of a jig too well. I was thinking about using spoons but shoeless just killed that idea also I was thinking that hopkins and stingsilver were spoons but I guess they're not. I think it would be easier to use something with a little casting weight. Maybe I should invest in a better spinning outfit first. I'm willing to go up to 125.00 dollars.
I might just have to stick to my beloved bait for the time being.

If I'm gonna do this thing I wanna do it right, aint no half steppin

Besides I've pulled in quite a few nice ones this year off of the good ol' cut spot and finger mullet. Haven't caught my drum yet. But I'm getting closer to a keeper striper. I've caught two around the 24" mark but I haven't gotten the big ol' 28" yet. Maybe I should move my fishing to the bay instead of the beach, then I could get a taste of those Rockfish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts