Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several articles about the use of bait clips.

As I understand it, bait clips help make your rig more aerodynamic when casting, allowing for longer casts.

Most of these articles however appear to come out of the UK.

Anybody here familiar with or do you use bait clips?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I don't use em Mark . I guess I never needed to be stream lined on my casting. Never been a distance caster either. With the beach the way it is were I fish meaning the troughs being right off the beach distance is not one of my priorities. And I get the bait out a good distance with my casting method. I guess it all depends what it is your trying to achieve. (1) Distance is increased as the tackle is kept more streamlined. Or(2) The bait is not buffeted and flapping loosely during casting so better bait presentation results. Just depends on what your needs and expectations are ??

Just My .02

·
Registered
568 Posts
The bait clips work great. Most of the ones I've seen are used with a sliding rig and the clip attaches to the weight. On impact with the water, the bait is released from the clip.They will give you more distance, casting a sand flea or a 10" mullet.
You can also make one out of copper wire that works just as well.Just loop the wire thru your sinker clip.
I use the Gemini clips and breakaway also sells some.
The Gemini clips are sold by Ron Sutton (online) but I don't see them on his web site. I always call the toll free number when I order. He also carries the tapered shock leaders that are hard to find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts