Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anyone else feel like I do about this year. First the weather has been ugly and the fish just aren't around. Now I'm into the summer slowdown and It starting to get to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah , it seems like some guys are finding the fish but I have't lately, plus the rain, Heeeat, and work keeps me from fishin too. But I guess we need to keep our heads up and they will be here soon. Did have an awsome run on Blues 3to5# range in the spring at Little Island Pier, good place.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
not really

heck if you could stand all that rain \ n/ easters i went out and found them on the fist of the croaker run / real windy / only caught m on high tide bite was slow to null but they were hittn now that summer in full swing the heat of the day [ fish early fish late ] works good for me :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
yup

The weather gods have not been good to the fisherman this year. Cold Cold weather followed by weeks of rain and now blistering heat.:rolleyes: There is still fish out there but you really have to work for em.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And its not like fish are not being caught they just seem to be fewer and harder and the weather is not give us much of a break. I just hope the fall run make up for this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now see there! That's the advantage that I have. I NEVER catch fish...well, almost never. So, the absence of catchable fish is not an issue with me. Even keel (so-to-speak). In fact, I have noticed that on numerous occassions when folks were catching fish, when I arrived I was able to put a stop to it almost instantaniously. (I wonder if I could make a living being paid NOT to show up at the fishing holes?):p

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
LMAO

I will make sure to look out for you when you come around so I can pack my bags and go somewhere else.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
depends on the species

a view from the north...

stripers (rockfish) - so far has been a banner year for the large. more 50's this year than people can remember. but the bait fish movements have been strange. some will say it's been horrible depending on area (many complaints from long island sound fisherman), and it has been bad if you stayed there. BUT, if you chased them down in the right spots, it was a great spring.

fluke (I think you folks call 'em summer flounder) - we had a great start with many quality fish coming up (10#+). then it just fizzled out. lack of bait is being blamed in some areas.

weakfish (speckled sea trout) - like fluke, we had a decent spring run, but sizzled out fast too.

bluefish - great run this year. enough said. did I mention great run this year?

All in all, if one did their homework and hit the right spots during the runs, you had a very good year. If you waited a bit too long each time, you could have had a horrible year.

my2

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Been catching hardheads out of the Chesapeake, but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to getting back to the Assateague Island sand and surf (September - April). N'oreaster, rain and cold. Catching the stripers and blues, the fish that is (not to mention numerous skates, rays and sharks), maybe some drum (probably have to wait til the spring fishing) but hear the kingfish are out there. Hope I can remember how to cut up them bunker from Kool Ice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
my dad thinks we are getting the extremes of each season. winter is suppose to be cold and snowy and we got freezinggg and lots of snow. Spring is suppose to be rainy and we got loaded on with rain. Summer is suppose to be hot and well it sure is hot. I think the striper run is gonna be good but end earlyyy. And about the fishing this year, it hasnt been as good for me. Well its been alright but i am in ga for the week and the ribbonfish didnt even show up. Last year in 1 week at this time i caught a 100 or so.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the north Addict and your right there seems to be a lot of 50lbs fish being caught, but if you ask around the tacle shops and surf around most people will tell you that they are not having a banner year and up here in CT if your not fishing from a boat your really working hard for your fish. Also in looking at the other boards and piers and compare them to previous years you'll see that this is the year you really have to use you skills and hope for some luck to find the fish.

·
Registered
194 Posts
coco - yup, you got it, that's why I said it could have been a horrible year for some. you certainly have to work, but ain't that half the challenge sometimes? ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree Addict a challange is a good thing a I up for it and if I was to get one of the 50lb it would be well worth if but I think I caught more sea robins this year that I did all of last year and last year I caught 55 sea robins in one day but on that did there was Stripers and Bluefish in there to may it worth the hassel ot just not happening this year. I think I going to have to plan a road trip down in NY I live close to City Island I might start there and work my way down.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Addict that last post is what happen when your trying to type and work at the same time at 7:00AM so to sum it up I've become the Sea robin champ and I'm think I going to leave the CT shore and explore the NY shore since your catching more that sea robins.

·
Registered
194 Posts
coco,

Regardless of the season, I am happy. It seems like just yesterday when we were all complaining about the cold. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Husky - hot? never said hot. I was just referring to earlier this yr when the temps were below normal.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree Addict I hope to never see a winter like this last one and I believe that is why it is not a banner year. And a quick report when out for a half hour after work they built a new pier in my town so I stopped by and saw 43 harbor blues caught in that time so I guess it time for me to try a new spot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
my fishing season has not been the best ever i gotta admit. its the el ninio mess

1 - 20 of 21 Posts