Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the horse has been dead, kicked, and mutilated.

Let's get back to fishing report.

I have been fishing this spot for the past month and here is the result.

- Limited out with over 20 TB (most were between 18''-19'')
- Skunked
- Over 30 TB ( all were less than 13'')
- Yesterday got 1 with 14 TB (between 10''-16'')

Still a little over a week remaining and they're still around.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks for the report and putting the time in catching!:fishing:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice catch!

Take me with you next time!

Does rockfish taste better than tilapia? I rarely eat fish, but I do like the tilapia from Costco. I've never ate rockfish yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice catch!

Does rockfish taste better than tilapia? I rarely eat fish, but I do like the tilapia from Costco. I've never ate rockfish yet.
Most frozen talapia comes from China, fresh are farm raised in the same tank as farm raised striper. Farm raised talapia eats the s**t/leftover from the striper, so you tell me which taste better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most frozen talapia comes from China, fresh are farm raised in the same tank as farm raised striper. Farm raised talapia eats the s**t/leftover from the striper, so you tell me which taste better.
Tilapia tastes pretty good from what I remember. I believe it was pre marinated in pepper garlic and butter. I tasted bluefish once and hated it forever. I don't like catfish or lake trout they sell at those fried fish stores. I refuse to eat anything you have to pick the bones, anything I catch or small pan fish, so only fillets for me. I eat fish about once every couple of years unless it's sushi. I don't remember the last time I took an icebox with me fishing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tilapia tastes pretty good from what I remember. I believe it was pre marinated in pepper garlic and butter. I tasted bluefish once and hated it forever. I don't like catfish or lake trout they sell at those fried fish stores. I refuse to eat anything you have to pick the bones, anything I catch or small pan fish, so only fillets for me. I eat fish about once every couple of years unless it's sushi. I don't remember the last time I took an icebox with me fishing.
To me talapia doesnt have any flavor, judging from what youre saying I'd stick to talapia or fresh water fish as they arent as fishy as salt water fish. Blue fish is great if prep correctly and prepared right.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice catch!

I don't care for FW fish. Though I would love to try Crappie one of these days (heard they're really good). I have tried LMB, SMB, Rainbows (stocked), and Tilapia, meh, no thanks. Like GWP said, Talapia is bland to me. So, they taste very different. Rockfish to me is sweeter and has a better texture.

The live Tilapia is fine, but like

·
Registered
212 Posts
That must be it. Fish that doesn't taste like fish. I hate the smell of fish. I get mad if people at work heat up fish in the microwave. No one is allowed to cook fish in my home. Sorry if that offends the fish lovers, but people are born different.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get mad if people at work heat up fish in the microwave..
Funny. There is a posted sign at work right next to the microwave. It says "Please DO NOT re-heat fish with this microwave!!!!" Did you posted that???? LOL!!!

It's true, they do stink up the kitchen pretty good.. Fish is one of our main diet in my household so I make sure the window is opened wide and the stove fan is on HIGH. Batter it up in hot grease = Yummy. Every now and then, I season it and smoke it on charcoal grill, man that's good eating!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
For those who dnt like the smell of fish frying try boiling water with cinnamon in it while you're frying and yes crappie best tasting freshwater fish on the planet and seatrout best tasting saltwater fish in my book

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I don't care for FW fish. Though I would love to try Crappie one of these days (heard they're really good). I have tried LMB, SMB, Rainbows (stocked), and Tilapia, meh, no thanks. Like GWP said, Talapia is bland to me. So, they taste very different. Rockfish to me is sweeter and has a better texture.

The live Tilapia is fine, but like
Did you take the shin off the large mouth bass filet? If you don't that skin off they taste pretty bad like grass, or weeds. You will like crappie.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
LOL! People now days want fish that don't taste like fish, and have no bones. "Eat More Flounder" LOL! Leaf Shadow Plant Flower Concrete
Fish Fish

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey AndyPat,

No, I have always kept the shin. I'll try your suggestion when I cook this baby up.

Once Striper season closes, I may take a stab at targetting Crappie.

Since the CHSP pier is open again (lets hope the deck repair is completed by spring), I'm going after them.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Hey AndyPat,

No, I have always kept the shin. I'll try your suggestion when I cook this baby up.

Once Striper season closes, I may take a stab at targetting Crappie.

Since the CHSP pier is open again (lets hope the deck repair is completed by spring), I'm going after them.
Yes, I will be making the CHSP run a few time next year also, looking for some flounder. I don't know anyone on the pier. I'm the new guy in town. I was talking about taking the skin off largemouth bass, not rockfish. I think you can leave the skin on rockfish if you want. PS. Did you know if you leave the skin on snook, they taste like soap. Long ago they use to call them soap fish in FL. Once the skin is off snook are really good eating.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I will be making the CHSP run a few time next year also, looking for some flounder. I don't know anyone on the pier. I'm the new guy in town. I was talking about taking the skin off largemouth bass, not rockfish. I think you can leave the skin on rockfish if you want. PS. Did you know if you leave the skin on snook, they taste like soap. Long ago they use to call them soap fish in FL. Once the skin is off snook are really good eating.
Oh, ok, my bad.

The LMB's I ate are from the Chinese restaurants (live from the tank). They (LMB, SMB, Talapia, and Rainbow trout) have that "rust" taste that I don't like at all. I've never eaten a Snook before.
You live pretty close to the pier and I'm sure I'll see you there in spring.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts