Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice on good, sandy wading flats, beaches, and accessability ? I've walked into the refuge from Grandview, but I was wondering about the area a little farther north. The whole penisula should have good wading options if accessable. ANY advice on accessability, parking, etc.. will be appreciated.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The problem is access without crossing a channel. Plum tree island is a wild life refuge with no access from the land. As a matter of fact you are not supposed to be walking there at all even if you approach it by boat. So that entire area is out.

There are two public access points to the water that one "could" say are wadeable. One is at the end of Hunts Neck Rd. (near my house) The bottom is a little muddy (2 or 3 inches of squish) with a flat that goes out about 150 yards, but you can wade there. The problem is that there are two old previously dredged channels 1/4 mile east and 1/4 west that are 3 feet of squishy mud. You can fish at the end of the road and do pretty well at high tide. If a guy with a grey beard in a white Ford F150 asks if you are catching anything it is probably me.

The other more interesting spot to access the area is to go to the end of Pasture Rd, turn right on Beach road and go to the end. There is a "light house" memorial at the end of Beach Road that can be used as a cut through for access to a sandy flat with grass beds. I doubt that you would catch much there but there is access.

There is also a public landing at the end of Cedar road that somebody on this board fishes at and does OK at different times of the year. Oh and there is also a pier at the end of Rens road next to Bubba's that provides free access.

None of those will provide you access to the flats on the outside of Plumtree Island. For those flats you will need a boat.

Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts