Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day was partly cloudy, 50s, and had a pretty good wind chill. First time fishing these two places.

Back River
Started late morning, and I threw lures (wht/pink worm and topwater) along the shore near Langley Marina and the King St bridge. Near the bridge, I saw a fish jump out of the water. Maybe a keeper striper? Anyway, it got me re-motivated halfway through my 3-hour fishing effort, but got nothing.

Green Mile
Arrived about mid-afternoon. No other fishermen were there. The pier gate was locked; the sign said it was under construction, but I didn't see any. I fished the north side of the pier along the sandy area. Wind chill was too cold for me, so I quit after only half hour of throwing lures. Caught only sea weed.

Time to hang it up, until spring.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Just heard the Green Mile is back open. Went last Saturday and it was closed. When the water cools you’ll have better luck with bait. Not sure if the ribbon fish are still around after the cold snap. Plan to net some mullet for catfishing before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are good places to fish for cats? Green Mile? Back River?

Closer to where I live, people fish the Potomac near DC for cats. But I'm a bit leery because I see health warning signs about fish contamination, pollution, etc.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Upper part of the James River and brackish rivers have a lot of blue catfish. Have heard of big cats in Williamsburg. There are some cats caught at the Green Mile in the early spring but you’re better off fishing by the James River Pier…different salinity I guess. There are consumption warnings below the fall line. But you can just catch them and give them away or throw them back…that’s what I do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts