Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a little bike ride this afternoon from the market in sandbridge down to the pier. nothing doing except for a few guys on the pier. then rode the beach from the pier through back bay nwr all the way to false cape state park. if anyone ever plans on biking through the refuge, you must do it at low water. the beach is narrow and at high tide there is no hard sand to ride on, you'll basically be up against the dunes. but, where the refuge ends and false cape park starts i saw a small group of birds death diving. not often, but occasionally over a span of 15 minutes. on the ride back, about halfway back to little island, a few more death diving, which drew the attention of other gulls until there were around 30 to 40 birds circling and diving well out of casting range. still the first birds hitting the water i've seen in a long time. maybe there are some baitfish working their way back up north. if you are willing to bike or hike into the refuge, it appears that there could be some good holes in the sand bars which should hold fish come spring. any surfers who weren't on it this morning missed some good clean waves, head high plus, unless your seven feet tall, before the light offshores dwindled and it got blown out. get out the wetsuit and wax the board, should be good again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thanks for the bird and surf report. Yeah, I saw those chest to head and glassy ones this morning @ 1st St but couldn't get myself to get in 40-something degree water. Man, I must be getting old.
Keep those Sandbridge reports coming.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 something water is a little generous i think, it might only be in the high 30's. but, it sandbridge it could be a half a degree warmer, and when your up to your face in waves, and its clean, if feels a bit warmer. plus at the market or s-turns there is a lot less hassling for waves compared to the inlet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts