Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MELBOURNE BEACH -- An unseasonable 20-degree drop in ocean temperatures has baby loggerhead sea turtles turning around and racing back to shore, keeping rescuers busy as they collect thousands of the threatened species to try to save them.

Here's the Whole Story
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryA8546A.htm

To bad the fish are not doing the same.:(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are they good bait?

LOL

DON'T even touch them--against the law to even try to help them.

Three cheers for the Eco-Nazis.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Yey, they're a little touchy about their turtles. It's been a few years since I last went, but used to stay at the "Loggerhead Inn" whenever I was in the area, and flashlights were'nt even allowed on the beach at nite.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I live right on the beach and I donate $100.00 a year to the society, just get a little tired of this nonsense. They kill 50,000 a year with gill nets, don't sic the turtle police on me because I pick up a turtle and put it back into the water before Mr Pelican has a snack.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
This cold water is wreaking havoc. Down on the OBX they're catching stripers and ling cod in the surf--fall and winter fish.

I saw a documentary on one of the nature channels a few months ago that said that ice ages are always brought on by the shutdown of the Gulf Stream. Wonder if we might be headed into another ice age? :(

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings sand flea!

Some scientists think its just the opposite - global warming is responsible for the cold 2002 winter and the chill in the water. Sounds crazy? According to the science guys, the melting polar cap is creating a large mass of cold water in the northern Atlantic. Cold water is more dense than warm water, and usually sinks. The warm Gulf Stream "floats" on the cold water until it crashes with the Labrador current and gets pushed eastward towards Great Britain. But the block of cold water is now so dense that it is stopping the 5 mph flow of the Gulf Stream. The effect of the warm Gulf stream crossing all that cold water after hitting the Labrador Current is responsible for the dreary weather in Great Britain. Of course, merry old England is in the grip of a heat wave, along with most of Europe. Only time will tell if this is a freak year, or the beginning of a trend!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NEW FORUM

O well sand flea gonna have to add the new ICE FISHING FORUM
:D I just hope it straightens it's self out soon. Don't want to sit in a little house on frozen water to fish.:D

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yeah maybe it could be called Saltwater Ice Fishing! Just like Antartica. Man the water gets any colder we are gonna see some killer whales busting schools of menhadden in the bay!:jawdrop:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts