Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Avon for the first time this weekend and w e are staying on the beach so I will have direct access. We normal go to Whales Head Beach up in Corolla and have had moderate luck surf fishing. Same tactics down in Avon, or should I use a certain rig and bait. Up there I used blood worms and sand fleas on a basic surf rig. Is it worth heading to the sound and fishing plastic baits? Thanks for any help or suggestions

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes on all. Sand fleas,blood worms and fresh shrimp. Avon area has a wide deep slough bit you can still find holes for structure at low tide.

Sound fishing should be good also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
good advice so far, I'd add fishbites or fishgum bloodworms too. A little piece with a flea or real bloodworm will make sure you're not fishing on credit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fish Avon a lot and agree that F&F will be a good resource for those new to the area. They will have everything you need and point you in the right direction.
The surf can be slow at times. Sometimes you need to move around or try different tides and times of day. May need to switch from bait fishing to lures for blues or Spanish if they are around.
sound fishing with artificials or shrimp under a popping cork can produce decent specks and drum.
I have done better in the sound recently having caught several 20+” trout and drum from yak when I was there memorial weekend. There are places to wade and also some deep spots and channels on the back side of Avon. Ask and be mindful of those deep areas when wading. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts