Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. looking around for a conventional surf reel I see these Avet reels. A search here shows many, MANY posts in the marketplace forum being for sale. Much of them are from the distant past, so I'm looking for info from more recent users ..... (if any).
There are some Avet reels available where the Penn's are still scarce and the Seigler's are just out of my $ range.
I might try the Avet, depending on the info I gather here.
Thanks for any participation.
:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This one, for example ...................
Thanks

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Avets are fantastic little tanks. If they came out with a improved Magic Cast they would be more popular for pier and surf.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SX is what I was looking at, Thanks !
I guess the MC uses a blocking plate ? Like Penn ?
What improvement would you like to see ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Santa said she'd chip in on a Seigler !
Looks like this one would go well with my 13' Breakaway LDX 3-5.
Agree ? Suggestions ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Been using a SX5.3MC for quite a few years now. Holds a lot of line, is small in the hand. Not a fast reel out of the box. Setting the drag, lever set up takes a little getting used to. Would buy another.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been using a SX5.3MC for quite a few years now. Holds a lot of line, is small in the hand. Not a fast reel out of the box. Setting the drag, lever set up takes a little getting used to. Would buy another.
Thanks for your report.
Me and Santa are voting soon. You say not fast out of the box, what did you do to speed it up ? Clean / relube the bearings ?
Thanks again,
:)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Didn't do anything, not a tournament caster. Like to throw a bait out without blowing up, don't get to the beach enough to waste time.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Avet puts out a good product. That said if you are a better than average caster you'll find them slow and over magged. Lever drag reels are not the best casting reels if you're looking for distance . I've never been a fan of the Seigler SMs and have nothing good to say good about them . I've cast them and fished them.
Fathoms are showing back up now. The Squall II 15s in the Casting Special is worth a serious look. m

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Avet puts out a good product. That said if you are a better than average caster you'll find them slow and over magged. Lever drag reels are not the best casting reels if you're looking for distance . I've never been a fan of the Seigler SMs and have nothing good to say good about them . I've cast them and fished them.
Fathoms are showing back up now. The Squall II 15s in the Casting Special is worth a serious look. m
Thanks for the info !
I'll watch for the Fathom, I see good reports on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts