Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average size king in florida caught off of a pier. Here in SC we average about 20-25lb.......

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The King Mackerel is a schooling and migrating fish that spends the winter months in south Florida and moves to more northerly waters in spring / summer. The Gulf population is considered to be separate from the Atlantic population. The separate populations are thought to mix in the winter months from east central Florida southward past Key West.
I think it must be a average Size: 8-20lbs and offshore the average size is in the 30 to 60 pound
Love those larger smokers .:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would give anything to get one of those 50+smokers on. Here on the east coast (NC,SC,GA) a big fish here is anything over 30lb. I caught my biggest king thisyear from the Apache pier in myrtle beach. Weighed in at 37 1/2 lb. Here that is a nice fish...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fisher, up here in the panhandle(Panama City to Pensacola) probably 85% of pier-caught kings weigh less than 20 lbs, but theres always a few real smokers mixed in. There have been several in the 40-45 lb range caught this summer. Right now P.C. pier is averaging about 25 kings a day, but they're mostly little scoolies. The size should pickup again as fall approaches. BTW that 37 lber is a good king anywhere!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts