Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to KDH about 5:15 a.m. and was in the water by 5:30. Had my first skate on the heaver by 5:40. Once they started, it was nonstop skate, which was pretty discouraging and quickly used all my spot/mullet that I had. Saw one guy pull in a taylor blue, who later offered it to me for bait, so I cut him up and within fifteen minutes I had more 'N.C. flounder' over the rails! :D Someone else caught a snapper blue later that morning on a bottom rig, but it was VERY slow, with the wind outta the west and the heat indice getting more severe. Saw schools of finger mullet, but nothing chasing 'em as I cast my gotcha right into 'em; between the cownose rays and glass skates and bigtime heat, we (my wife and I) packed it in right at 10 a.m. We checked back, watching the 6-or-7 fishermen out on the planks in the middle of the hottest part of the day doing absolutely nothing but swilling beer and casting/reeling and fending off rays, so we said 'goodbye'-for now!

One thing: on the way down, just prior to dawn, the moon was just a sliver of a crescent and was glowing bright orange. That, coupled with a really nice sunrise made me glad to be there and see the way the water and sky changed colors in the hazy, humid sun.

Tight lines,

Doad

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Doad glad ta hear you an th Mrs. got some plank time in. SG isn't th only skate haven. :rolleyes:

While I will prolly get my chops busted for this, this post would prolly be better served on th NC board however. Just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doad,

Trippolski and I had a little "mini-vacation" to Rodanthe pier the same time you were at Avalon. We didn't get "on the planks" until about midday (had to check in at the camp site and set the tent up, etc). We had the same experience .... rays everywhere ... wind from the SW ... hot as heck (I ain't complainin' tho'). Didn't see anyone doin' anything ... a large Cobia was caught there on Tuesday ... but we didn't see nuthin'. We fished until it was too late to go to "Top Dog" and get the best burger on Earth. Did some surf fishing at Rudee on Saturday ... Plenty of seaweed ... Trippolski caught 3 flounder too small to keep, but at least his line got bent.

Anyhow ... we're just glad in ain't raining.;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodanthe...haven't been out there yet; been to Jeanette's, Kitty Hawk pier, Avalon, Avon, and Hat. Island (Frisco), but not on Rodanthe-I'll have ta try it sometime!

Also been hearing some pretty good things about a site wayyy south from Va. Beach called Oak Island...*drool*.

Thanks for the info about the pier VARob!

Doad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts