Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from the more experienced casters here. I have just about finished assembly of my first QTC 6600w, in fact it is together except for new abec 7s. Right now it has what I believe are factory Abu bearings in it that came with the new spool. I did the epoxy deal, and used a dremmle to remove the neccessary material from the backside of the magplate on my stock [90's] 6500 CT Mag Elite. Current magnet arrangement is holes 2 thru 5. The bullet was slightly large so I had to sand it for a while with fine emory cloth, but it finally fit. I have applied the dynamic balancer with 15lb. test under 17 lb. Tritanium, as this is for fishing. I have been spinning it in free spool with no magnets and it might be giving 35 or 40 seconds. I have a newer stock 6500 Mag that I have been spinning right next to it. It seems as though the QTC has a slight rub or tick at high speed, coming from the left end.The stock reel is smooth and really rolls. Just curious what I can do to improve the balance of the 6600w spool in the cage, or how to determine what needs to be tweaked to get it really rolling like I have read here.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Could be where you have sanded the bullet and it's no longer cirular.

Change the end plate over from another reel and check again.

Tip - only change reel parts 1 at a time, this way it's easier to find issues rather than too many at once. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Led,In fact it has gotten better. This particular kit came from your very own Paul D. Bullet OD was cut to a modern chrome elite, not circa 90's Green Elites as are my 3. I am finding out that each of my 3 has slightly different OD as well, and that they are indeed smaller OD than the modern one. Main noise issue was direct result of not removing enough material from mag plate. Exchanged end caps and with mags on shut down reel in seconds, could here it scrubbing. Funny that max mags on one endcap could reveal what the more modern reels endcap could conceal. Got busy with the dremmel again.
Bearings: The factory spool came with Abu stock bearings, dry or lubed, I am not sure. I cleaned and seated a pair of VBX Abec 7 Hybrids with Grade #3 nitride balls and installed them. I could not get more than 25 seconds with micro drop of yellow rocket. After spinning it side by side with the newest factory 6500 CT mag, which consistently rolls for 40 + seconds I decided to exchange the bearing sets to see if it would improve the QTC 6600w and what difference it would make with the stock 6500 CT. Mind you bearings were purchased at the same time from VBX when somebody could actually answer a technical question. What I found was used bearings in new cage
eliminated most chatter and some of the imbalance. Newly prepared bearings in stock unit were much faster than when in 6600w. Both units giving approx. 40 seconds. I am happy with my progress but am still intrigued by claims of 3 minute spin times, and would like to go there. Also would like a primer from the experts on cleaning [what solution] and any other prepatory chores that allow bearings to revolve unhindered. Thanx Led

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm running stock Abu (spin time alone: 8.11 secs in one, 7.16 in the other) bearings in a CT conversion 5500 cage and sideplates from a Mk II CT Sports Rocket. With bearings soaked in lighter fluid to remove oil and mags backed off fully I get between 3:30 and 4:15 spin times. I have not successfully balanced the spool yet, a skill I'm still trying to figure out.

I have a matched set of hybrid ABEC 5s (spin time alone: 10 secs, thank you kingfeeder) that I'm going to install on Sunday. We'll see what happens to the spin time with those.

Max spin time is achieved by removing all slowing factors from the equation. This means no oil in the bearings, mags at full off or removed completely and a balanced spool. I'm no expert, but I've absorbed a lot of info from the boards and from YouTube. Personally I remove one shield from my bearings, put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and pour in enough lighter fluid to cover them completely. I then run the cleaner for ~5 mins to remove oil and particulates. After I let them dry on a paper towel (open side up) I put them on a chopstick and spin them with a flick of my thumb. Bearings that have closely-matched spin times, IMHO, are better than the two longest-spinning bearings you have. I'd take a pair that both spin for 12 seconds over a pair where one spins for 15 seconds and the other for 22 seconds. I've read that people find bearings that will spin by themselves for 30+ seconds, but the most I've seen is 15-16.

As has been stated many times on here, a reel that spins for 3+ mins is headed for a blowup. Spin time is just an indication of balance and smoothness. I tune my fishing reels, through oil and mag placement, to spin for 9-12 seconds with mags in casting position. I tend to blow up my tournament reel when the casting setup spin time exceeds 25 seconds.

JMHO, as I said I'm definitely no expert on this subject.

Evan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.